Full Box of 2018 D Halves - what to do??

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531188734.134651.jpg

Here’s something you don’t see too often...
A full box of 2018D halves!
They are pristine- nicest halves I’ve ever seen.
The question is ... how do I sell them? I was thinking on eBay by the Roll or maybe in lots of 5 or 10 rolls.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
BB

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay. I thought they only went out in mint sets??? But I just checked the mint's website, they are selling Unc rolls, 2 rolls for $32.95. Mixed D and P marks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
baddbluff

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Mint dumps what it can’t sell into circulation. This is the first time I’ve ever got a solid new box of halves, and Ive searched almost 1000 boxes.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I think the Mint dumps what it can’t sell into circulation. This is the first time I’ve ever got a solid new box of halves, and Ive searched almost 1000 boxes.

While I agree with the premise that the Mint turns over whatever inventory that isn't sold to the Federal Reserve, I do not think that they sell current year halves direct to the Fed. After the calendar year passes and they can not sell them direct to consumers, then the remaining inventory is likely introduced into circulation. In your case, I would suspect that a collector had paid for the bag/rolls option direct from the Mint. The collector either passed away and the heirs dumped the coins or the collector was robbed by family or stranger and they were dumped. Coincidentally, the dump was in sufficient quantity to ensure a solid box at the coin processing facility.

If you want to try and sell them on eBay, then figure out how many fit into a small flat rate box and set your BIN price accordingly. Be aware that if you sell them as solid 2018D halves and a stray half from another year sneaks into the rolls, then the buyer can return them as the item is not as described regardless if you accept returns or not. If a return is executed, then you will likely lose money on the transaction as you will have to pay for the return shipping.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver down, check out the US Mint's website. They are selling them by the roll this year. I was surprised.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Diver down, check out the US Mint's website. They are selling them by the roll this year. I was surprised.

I know. I used to buy them (a P/D roll) a decade ago. I sold all my Mint rolls for a hefty premium about 2 years ago. I haven't checked their offerings lately, but they are only allowed by law to sell current year mint offerings. You can't buy a commemorative/proof set/mint set/etc. for previous years. Once the new year begins, I expect all unsold rolls/bags are released to the Federal Reserve. The same law that restricts their ability to sell previous year offerings also restricts them from releasing current year offerings.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe in the past the mint never sold the prior years coins, but I ordered and received from the US mint both 2017 and 2018 Silver proof sets, this was about three weeks ago. I just checked on their website (https://catalog.usmint.gov/coin-programs/kennedy-half-dollars/) and they show both 2017 and 2018 halves for sale. 200 coin bag $139.95 for either year plus they sell them in two-roll lots for $32.95.

I still wonder if those 2018 halves noted above were directly from the mint or from someone's stockpile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread