Full weekend of hunting...TWO FIRSTS...and wow did I LEARN things!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually dug TWO NICKELS. :headbang:

Sad...but TRUE. I believe that is a personal best for me...2 nickels in one hunt. :laughing9: ;D

I started out Saturday with very high hopes of pulling some keepers from 3 of my most pounded parks.

I had the entire day to do so...but got completely skunked at the first 2. :dontknow:

After 6 hours at 2 parks...I had absolutely squat in my pouch. Not even a wheatie. :angry4:

I was bound and determined to find something so I went to the last park...where I was able to scrounge up 3 injuns....an 1892...a 1906...and a mystery, scrounger injun'. 8)

Hey I'm not complainin'. After 6 hours of nothin but an empty pouch and a sore back... was thrilled to end the day with 3 greenies. :hello2:

The next day I got the Yeti out of hibernation :blob1:
...literally ...and we decided to spend 4 hours at a park which we haven't dug silver out of in the last 3 hunts. Hey...when you are desparate...you hunt where you can.

After an hour or so I called him over to listen to a very strange jumbled signal. It was just weird and that's the only way I know to describe it. ::)

Once I got the hole dug and a pile of dirt on the towel...I ran the probe... and got zilch. 8)

I then widened the hole a lot. In fact I had to tunnel a good 5" into to the bottom side of the 9" deep hole before I could get the probe to sound.
I was rewarded with a 1937 wheatie though so I was happy.

As I started to shove the dirt pile back in the hole...I thought I caught the glimpse of silver in the pile?? :wink:
I carefully picked through some of the dirt and sure enough...there was a silver dime.

I then became ecstatic because I hadn't found silver all weekend. :headbang: I became less ecstatic though when I realized it was not a merc or a roosey...but a Canadian dime. ::)

Just for kicks I probed the pile again and was elated when it sang again. Out of the pile came a second silver dime. I snatched it up to check it out...then realized it was a second Canadian dime. :icon_thumleft:

In my 35 years of hunting I believe this was my FIRST Canadian silver dime pocket spill. :hello2:

I don't think the '37 wheatie was a part of the dime spill...but a separate loss buried deep on edge...then the dime spill came some years later.

I just can't see a '42 dime...a '61 dime...and an american '37 wheatie lost at the same time...but I guess it's possible.

About an hour later I got a very deeeeep warbler...but it was a solid repeater all the way around the hole. So much so in fact that I called the Yeti over again and let him hear it. His face lit up like a Christmas tree. :laughing7:

We both could not believe it...a 10" screamer...and I mean screamer. It has been a very long time since I've heard a solid textbook silver hit...but this was it....and it sounded from every angle and pass. The hit we all dream of.

I kept saying "no way this is real" as I pried at the root infested ground.

After 5 minutes of me prying and getting nowhere with the roots...the Yeti couldn't take it anymore. He had that "fire in the eyes" look of excitement on his face. :laughing9:
Yeti said..."I can't take this...I wanna' see what's down there"...so he began to hammer and claw away at the plug until we both pried it up.

That's what makes it so much fun to hunt with him. He is just like me...and doesn't care which one of us finds stuff. He just likes to see the shiny stuff come out of the ground.

From almost 10" down came the sweet 1945 Merc. :icon_thumleft: I know most of you probably couldn't care less about mercs and roosies...but I do. I don't care what the date is...I just like to see the shiny stuff.

I then decided to do some hutin' with "Heavy D's" E-Trac...so I put my 10 x 12 SEF coil on it.

A few minutes later I got another very deep repeater but it definitely was not a silver hit...and really not even a wheatie hit...but a high enough hit to sound "coin like".
What made the hair on my arms stand up though was the fact that the depth meter was bottomed out...completely...yet this signal was a solid repeater. :occasion14:
The numbers were worthless. In fact they jumped from 6-30...to as high as 30-50. I have always heard that NO coin would be found if the conduct numbers hit 50...but the sound was so sweet and solid. The only way I know to put it is... "The ID was worthless...but the sound was there"
The crosshair of the depth meter was setting directly on the bottom line too.

I called over the Yeti again and he lumbered accross the tundra to check what I was hearing.
He already had his E-Trac equipped with his 10 x 12 SEF...so I knew he'd hear it too.
He got the same result...a deep repeater from all angles...depth meter absolutely buried...Conduct ID jumping randomly to as high as 50...but the sound was definitely there.

I started digging and truthfully expected a big piece of crap to pop out of the hole. I got down a good 10" and ran the probe...same weird warbly sound...so there was definitely something there. I dug another nearly 2" out before I ran the probe again.
We were both amazed to see an orange wheatie appear from over 11" down. No I can't honestly say it was a full 12"...but I know for a fact it was over 11" because I measured it with the length of the digger.

Just a few minutes later I got the tiniest window of a sweet warble that I have ever gotten. Other than the little one way chirp...it was a 100% dead null from everywhere. Not even sure why I decided to investigate it...but it obviously gave me enough of the sweet sound for me to do so. I mean maybe 1/2" of warble area at best...and from only one angle...and from only one way. I switched to all metal quick mask and it cleaned it up a little...so I decided to dig.
From 7" down came a roosey..and I was shocked....completely. :blob1:

I then filled the hole back in and ran the E-Trac over it. It was a total null for a solid 3 feet around the entire area surrounding the hole...and including the hole. There was NO intermittent threshold...NO resetting threshold...only dead silence for a solid 3 to 5 seconds from every pass and angle.

I was beyond curious...so I began to dig the hole deeper to see what was down there after the roosie popped out. I also started probing with a long metal rod that was nearby.
What I found was amazing...a 3' diameter lid to an old burning barrell or drum at about the 2 foot level. Why amazing???...because the roosie was found dead center in this rusty lid about 18" above it. Now I knew why the long dead null occurred.
These Minelabs are amazing machines...that's all I can say.

I cannot begin to tell you what I learned from the signals I got...experimenting over them...letting Yeti listen to them...ignoring the ID and digging by sound alone...etc.
An invaluable day in the field to say the least. :angel7: The Yeti did well too....digging 2 deep roosies and a wheatie.

Attachments

• coins306.jpg
    coins306.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,415
  • coins307.jpg
    coins307.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,403
  • coins308.jpg
    coins308.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,345
  • coins309.jpg
    coins309.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,340
  • coins310.jpg
    coins310.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,341
  • coins311.jpg
    coins311.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,340
Upvote 0

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"ignoring the ID and digging by sound alone"

amazing what ya find just by the sounds.....

Happy Hunting

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
You're gonna have to start digging Buffs and V's soon as you take the last of the silvers out of your parks! :laughing7: Nice story about the dime squeaking through the GIANT IRON NULL. :thumbsup:

Jim

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hey Bryce, glad your getting out there with the ole Yeti and still slamming it. Sounds like the persistence pays off really listening to the machine. Ya grabbed some keepers for the pouch again Buddy and thats a great thing. Take care. :thumbsup: jgas

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!! :headbang:
As long as you are learning, you are making progress
towards perfecting your hunting techniques Bryce.
Good information and a good story....congrats to you
and the Yeti. Gold Nuggets :hello:

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
silverfreak said:
Other than the little one way chirp...it was a 100% dead null from everywhere. Not even sure why I decided to investigate it...but it obviously gave me enough of the sweet sound for me to do so. I mean maybe 1/2" of warble area at best...and from only one angle...and from only one way.

That is the talent that gets you the good stuff, my friend! If Minelab could teach a guy that in the manual, there'd be nothing left to find out there.

You've got it mastered!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Bryce.
I love those finds! :thumbsup:
-Doug-

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Never dug one stinking Canadian silver, ever. Kudos!
Carl

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds congrats.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I really enjoy reading your posts. Congrats on the coins. You can't beat a Minelab for finding the deep stuff.
Dman

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds :icon_thumleft: that SEF 10x12 is a deep coil i use it with mixed mode and tone id on i dont even need to look at the screen the sounds in my phones tell me what it is down as far as 12 inches if its silver oh boy do i know it, yesterday i hit a 1891 seated dime just a few inches from a iron axe head i heard both signals at a slow sweep speed 1 getting that SEF coil was a good move .
Good Hunting Jim :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold nuggets said:
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!! :headbang:
As long as you are learning, you are making progress
towards perfecting your hunting techniques Bryce.
Good information and a good story....congrats to you
and the Yeti. Gold Nuggets :hello:
Thanks buddy. Hope all is well with you.

jgas said:
Hey Bryce, glad your getting out there with the ole Yeti and still slamming it. Sounds like the persistence pays off really listening to the machine. Ya grabbed some keepers for the pouch again Buddy and thats a great thing. Take care. :thumbsup: jgas
Thanks J. Yep...hunting with a buddy makes it much more worthwhile.

ziphius said:
You're gonna have to start digging Buffs and V's soon as you take the last of the silvers out of your parks! :laughing7: Nice story about the dime squeaking through the GIANT IRON NULL. :thumbsup:

Jim
Thanks Jim. The thought of pursuing nickels makes me nausious ;D

jorge del norte said:
"ignoring the ID and digging by sound alone"

amazing what ya find just by the sounds.....

Happy Hunting
I agree 100% :icon_thumleft:

Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.) said:
;D great post and finds Bryce :hello2: :laughing7:
Thanks Brian

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
I have Never dug one stinking Canadian silver, ever. Kudos!
Carl
Thanks Carl ;D Wanna' trade me for a 2 merc spill :laughing7:...I'd do it in a heartbeat :wink:

ModernMiner said:
Congrats Bryce.
I love those finds! :thumbsup:
-Doug-
Thanks Doug

Kimsdad said:
silverfreak said:
Other than the little one way chirp...it was a 100% dead null from everywhere. Not even sure why I decided to investigate it...but it obviously gave me enough of the sweet sound for me to do so. I mean maybe 1/2" of warble area at best...and from only one angle...and from only one way.

That is the talent that gets you the good stuff, my friend! If Minelab could teach a guy that in the manual, there'd be nothing left to find out there.

You've got it mastered!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:wink: Thanks Neil. I feel like I learn something each time out.
Take care bro. :hello:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Your posts are always entertaining Bryce. Yeti sounds like a trip.
Chris
Thanks Chris. :D
Hope you Colonial fellers' have been getting some hunt time in.

Deepdiger60 said:
Nice finds :icon_thumleft: that SEF 10x12 is a deep coil i use it with mixed mode and tone id on i dont even need to look at the screen the sounds in my phones tell me what it is down as far as 12 inches if its silver oh boy do i know it, yesterday i hit a 1891 seated dime just a few inches from a iron axe head i heard both signals at a slow sweep speed 1 getting that SEF coil was a good move .
Good Hunting Jim :thumbsup:
Thanks Jim. Yep...the SEF coil is a good one :wink:

Dman said:
I really enjoy reading your posts. Congrats on the coins. You can't beat a Minelab for finding the deep stuff.
Dman
Thanks D. They are fun to use once you get used to all the sounds ::)

wingmaster said:
Great finds congrats.
Thanks friend.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Hey Bryce, nice stuff!
Looks like you're your own competition/worse enemy wherever you hunt at! ;D
Man, I can't wait to get out. I got all my gear ready to go earlier tonight.
This winter was the longest I've went without detecting since I started detecting.
I ended a 3 1/2 year streak of finding at least a couple of silver/keeper coins every month.
Hope you do well this season.
Looks like you're off to a good start already!
Congrats, and Happy Hunting!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Congrats on a great hunt!
Any hunt where you learn something AND bring home silver is a great hunt in my book!

Love the post! Great story as usual! You have a talent my friend!

Ever consider just telling the Yeti that you burried a Big Mac between tree roots?

Have a great day!
Mark

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rogues71 said:
great finds gratz on the silver keep it coming

Thanks friend :headbang:

mpostma said:
Congrats on a great hunt!
Any hunt where you learn something AND bring home silver is a great hunt in my book!

Love the post! Great story as usual! You have a talent my friend!

Ever consider just telling the Yeti that you burried a Big Mac between tree roots?

Have a great day!
Mark
;D Thanks Mark. ;D I do suppose the mentioning of a quarter pounder would have put the digging sequence into warp speed :laughing9: :hello2: Take care bro...and please let me know when you have a pic. :hello:

The Buzzard King said:
Hey Bryce, nice stuff!
Looks like you're your own competition/worse enemy wherever you hunt at! ;D
Man, I can't wait to get out. I got all my gear ready to go earlier tonight.
This winter was the longest I've went without detecting since I started detecting.
I ended a 3 1/2 year streak of finding at least a couple of silver/keeper coins every month.
Hope you do well this season.
Looks like you're off to a good start already!
Congrats, and Happy Hunting!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks B.K. ;D Winter time is over now my friend...so you can begin another streak.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread