Fun day with friends and a nice coin!

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
I got to meet up with Mark "Wallhangers" and "Michiganne" and her friend Kelly for a nice day of hunting and friendship. Mark had gotten us permission to hunt 3 old farms in St.Joe county so after meeting up at the local McDonalds we proceeded to the first spot which was established in the 1830's but had been hunted in the past. things were tough there and did'nt produce alot.We moved to the second spot and started to pull some clad and a few wheaties, I'll let the others who found those tell about that ;D My big find at spot number 2 was a first for me personally! as I was digging a strong penny signal I was about 5 to 6 inches down and to my surprise out came a toad! That really took me by surprise and gave us all a good laugh! After we finished spot 2 we returned to McDonalds for lunch. After a little food in the belly we went to spot 3 which was a bare lot, the house had been moved off the property and the hole from the basement had been filled. We were told it was an older home so hopes were high. Mark and I were trying to get the ladies into the best areas of the yards all day to get them an older coin as they still are trying to break into the 1800's club. After awhile I made a pass over what I thought was where the house had actually stood and did'nt think there would be much of a chance to get an older hit. I got a fuzzy signal at about 6 to 7 inches down and told my girlfriend that I would take a chance and dig. after a nice plug was cut and a little loose dirt removed I stuck in the trusty pinpointer and heard that sweet little buzzzzzzz. looked in the hole and seen a large green rim staring back at me standing right on edge! I gave it a litttle tug and out came a nice 1849 large cent! Damn! I really wanted one of the girls to find that! That about ended our day, it was a great day with new friends and I hope to be able to hunt with these fine folks again soon. Thanks goes to Mark for securing those nice spots and to Ann and Kelly for driving over to our area to hunt with us. Next time we'll come over your direction!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack, Mark, and Terri: Thanks for the invite, we had an excellent time. I'm sure all your tips and pointers will help speed our learning curves. Thanks for letting us try your detectors and sending us to the hotspots.

The mystery wheatie from site 2 appears to be a 1918 but it is still tough to read. Sorry I didn't get any group pics....too busy swinging to fuss with the camera. No toad pics, either. :)

Those of you who have hunted with Jack know he is an old coin magnet and it was no surprise when he pulled out that Large Cent. What a coin! It was fascinating to witness one of these oldies come out of the soil.

Thanks again and HH.
pic 1 - site 3, Jack & Terri after finding the large cent
pic 2 - up close and personal
pic 3 - Kelly's stone door knob from site 3

Attachments

• treasure07-08 082comp.jpg
    treasure07-08 082comp.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 160
  • treasure07-08 083comp.jpg
    treasure07-08 083comp.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 160
  • treasure07-08 084comp.jpg
    treasure07-08 084comp.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 164

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was beginning to lose hope that an oldie would be found, but Jack saves the day! Sure wish Anne and Kelly could have nailed some oldies but maybe next time. Had a good time and made some new friends. Thanks for getting a few pics Anne. I will be waiting for that call Jack...

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats of the Large Cent!

Sounds like you all had a nice hunt.

Good luck,
HH.

OP
OP
Slipperyjack47

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Those were great pics by Ann! thanks for saving the day with them and congrats on the old wheatie.I messed up an my post and forgot to add pic of coin so I'll try it now. I should be starting to take some better pics soon as I got a digital camera coming!

Attachments

• Picture 199.jpg
    Picture 199.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Picture 198.jpg
    Picture 198.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 105

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Hey Kids! Sounds like you guys had a pretty good time dirt fishing. Congrats on the large one Jack! You are still the man!

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its always good to see at least 1 person find a old coin... i know when i went out with dan i was hopeing he find something if i didnt.... Nice work!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread