Fun Finding Nails and More

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who does not like finding nails, well me for one, but today I found nails that just made me smile. 8-)
After a lot of research on this early 1900's property I decided to go check it out. Unfortunately it seems it is private property. Although only protected by a single cable fence and not a No Trespassing sign in sight I decided not to go in without trying to contact the owner.
However, in front of the fence I noticed a very short run of Train Tracks, only about 100 yards, leading nowhere in either direction so I decided to MD there. I could only see traces of the tracks mostly buried by dirt.
After a few minutes I noticed the area was very trashy giving up the usual nails, pull tabs and lots of trash. :BangHead:
Then I hit a good sized railroad spike, then a dated nail 1925 and then they just kept coming. :hello2:
By the time I decided to call it quits for today, mainly due to the fact that I was frying in the 90+ degree heat, I ended up with some really cool nails, 12-1925 nails, my oldest to date, 5-large spikes, 4-small spikes, 2 weaties -1919 and 1952) a 1965 nickel and a bucket full of trash.
Can't wait to go back...

Todays keeper pull and some of the trash
IMG_1588.JPG
Dated nails IMG_1589.JPG The spikes IMG_1590.JPG my collection before today IMG_1596.JPG
The Coins
IMG_1592.JPG IMG_1593.JPG IMG_1591.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chrisplay2004

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks carl, now I need a much bigger one for all my new 1925's
Original display starts at 1930 and way at the top is an X and a 66

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
You have some railroad tie date nails. They were nailed into a new railroad wood tie. This helped the railroad know when a new tie was laid and also helped the engineering department get an idea of how long they could expect new ties to last. Not all ties had them and they later stopped using them at all. If you found shorter nails (gennerally copper) those would have bee used on the telegraph/phone poles. Fairly collectible to rail fans.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions