Fun first hunt

CA_Vermonster

Apr 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out yesterday to the beach for my first real hunt. Brought both kids, 3 & 7. Had a fun time, a little slower than expected due to each kid wanting to dig everything, but was there about an hour and a half. Mostly some junk and a little clad. The beach is easy digging, but lots of junk. Never knew volleyball players used so many bobby pins.....

Anyway, will head out solo next time, maybe try to find an older place inland and look for some older items. Any suggestions for San Diego county would be appreciated. Thanks, and happy hunting!

image.jpg

Upvote 5

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Welcome to t-net! :icon_thumright: :hello:

Well, your warm beaches in San Diego area will definitely yield more lost jewelry than our cold water beaches in central CA, lol. Mostly only kids & surfers go in the water here, so little recent gold & silver sliding off people into the surf. The fact that you're digging tiny items like bobby pins at the volley ball court means you're on the right track to finding older silver coins & good silver and gold jewelry that other detectorists have missed due to their unwillingness to dig up a lot of junk. Keep at it! My two best beach finds were both dug in the junkiest beach areas: first I dug a beautiful sterling silver ring set with a dozen perfect stones in the midst of a scattering of nine nasty old rusty nails. Then pow! The silver ring! At a smaller beach I dug a unique custom-made gorgeous 9-gram 14k gold ring practically right up against one of the big iron hunks buried in that beach, after pulling half of a deteriorated spoon from the same hole. Always recheck your holes! Previously I'd named that beach the "nasty little beach" due to it's many buried big hunks of iron & scattered re-bar. This gold ring was covered with a thin skin of iron! It had been underground for decades, missed by the multiple detecting folks who can't be bothered digging near the crud.

My most fun find was digging a silver ring for the young woman who had just lost it that day! She'd wisely stayed in the area where she'd lost it, & I came along at the right time. Some of the beaches up here now have discarded drug needles, so don't let your kids dig with bare hands; I haven't dug any needles but others here told me they have. A plastic shovel or plastic detector scoop will be easy for the kids.
Best luck to you and your children! :cat: Andi

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get permissions from people Julian is one of the older towns down that way with a Gold town history.I myself would try Balboa Park if it is allowed, all the people that go there for the zoo and the different museums and such have probably lost tons of stuff.If you go to Julian on the way there is the town of Wynola with the one room school house named Spencer Valley the spot the school is standing now is not the original site of the school though, if you go there and as you are looking at the school the fence line on the left follow it towards the back of the property and the first oak tree you come to is the approximate location of the original school site it burned down.I grew up in the area and went to that school that is how I know, good luck that might make for an enjoyable weekend hunt.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great fun your having! I hope you checked in the mint container, some people put money in it.
GL. HH to you and the kids!

OP
OP
C

CA_Vermonster

Apr 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great fun your having! I hope you checked in the mint container, some people put money in it.
GL. HH to you and the kids!

Funny you say that, because I thought the same thing and checked. It WAS empty......but now holds the clad we found, thanks to my oldest son... 8-)

Back-OTB, I am actually heasws to Julian in the morning with my 7 yr old for some turkey hunting. Maybe I will throw the detector in the car and check it out if I have time. At the very least, at least drive around and look at areas. Thanks for the suggestion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread