inside.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 334
Upvote 0

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
Yes I have had those before also. Wonder what happened to it.

Cat

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim....I saw one just like that on E-Bay just this past weekend in the error section. You might want to check that out.

I am no expert on errors by any means so I was in there looking around kinda schooling myself on errors and saw that very thing with a dime.

Neat find.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
could be a lamination error?....

Lamination Errors

All dimes, quarters and half dollars are currently minted on blanks cut from the prescribed clad strip that consists of outer layers of copper-nickel (75% copper and 25% nickel) bonded to an inner core of pure copper. This concoction isn't always stable and if gas or dirt comes between the layers, one or both of the outer copper-nickel layer may fall off when the planchets (blanks) are cut from the clad strip. The resulting blank may have a "yellow" or "red" side and a "silver" side. These incomplete error blanks are struck with the coin's design and become a mystery to those who find them in circulation. Clad coinage completely missing one or both layers are very collectable and bring a premium when offered in the numismatic community. These errors are called lamination errors and can also appear with only part of the outer layer missing. Small lamination errors actually reduce the coin's collector value.

http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/CladCoinage.asp

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
You have a lost coin ring. People with a lot of time on their hands tap coins with spoons to make rings. When the ring is as wide as they want they drill out the center. It takes a long time to make one of those buggers so they are carried in the pocket until they are completed. I have dug several of these on European battlefields. I've also found some in the unuited states. siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread