Funny Quote from Our Former Commander in Chief...

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
July, 23 1965:

“If anybody has any idea of hoarding our silver coins, let me say this. The Treasury has a lot of silver on hand, and it can be, and it will be used to keep the price of silver in line with its value in our present silver coin. There will be no profit in holding them out of circulation for the value of their silver content.”

—President Lyndon B. Johnson

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Too bad our 36th President Mr Johnson didn't live long enough to see a silver coin's value spike to close to $50 an oz in 1980.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was said over 50 years ago in a different time and context. I remember the silver conversion. It was a confusing time. In the end, the masses said a dime is a dime and the change went over smoothly. That said, I've known a number of people who have held that silver all these years. They would have done much better in the stock market with compounded returns.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
It was said over 50 years ago in a different time and context. I remember the silver conversion. It was a confusing time. In the end, the masses said a dime is a dime and the change went over smoothly. That said, I've known a number of people who have held that silver all these years. They would have done much better in the stock market with compounded returns.

lyndon-b-johnson-frustration.jpg

ACTUAL image of him regretting the coinage act of 1965, "facepalm".

what is going through his mind is kinda like the ending of the bridge over the river kwai, "my god.......what have I done?"

oooldman

Feb 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Whites coinmaster, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sure the Hunt brothers would agree

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh....fiat currency.

If only LBJ wasn't tainted with a lot of unpopular decisions, including this one.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
They should have filled his coffin with clad quarters and dimes for making our coinage worth nothing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread