Funny story of what goes around comes around

kevin green

Greenie
Dec 13, 2009
My friend and I at the early age of about 18 years old were at a party at a mutual friends house drinking it up. He was better known to the homeowner although I knew him also because his older brother was good friends with my older brother. Anyway my friend was so drunk that the homeowner and I found him downstairs in the basement urinating into the furnace! He was lucky that Al didnt kill him on the spot but just suggested that we leave. anyway fast forward about 25 years and I was at a garage sale in champlin minnesota and I noticed a large metallic rock holding open the side door to their garage. Being an avid agate/ fossil collecter who has had college level geology courses I spent the better half of an hour trying to talk the housewife having the garage sale out of their big rock. She was adament that in no way was I getting her big rock and the more I tried the more stubborn she became. So any way I told her that I thought it may be a meteorite and she should contact the university of minnesota geographical survey office in st paul mn. I made sure that she understood that I was serious and anyway soon forgot all about it.

Wouldn't you know it. Awile later Al Stoegora of champlin minnesota sold the "champlin meteorite" for $38,000 having dug it up in his back yard in champlin minnesota. So his luck certainly changed since my inebriated buddy was urinating in his furnace! Al doesnt even know that it was I that first identified it and prodded his wife into this but I guess my mention of money certainly motivated her. It now resides in various museums around the world having been cut into pieces. 128 lbs!
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg31917.html

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good story! You deserved a chip of that old block! :D

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an ancient post but I disagree that you deserved any slice of that rock. I highly doubt that you were going to offer anything close to what the rock eventually sold for. In fact, according to your post, you spent a half hour haggling for the rock before finally admitting that you suspected it to be a meteorite. You got exactly what you deserved...nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions