Funny story

Rossiter25

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to cooks forest state park Saturday. I seen they had a metal detecting permit on the internet so I filled one out when I got there.

image-908095877.jpg

Read no 1 it says not in a campsite when occupied or in use by individuals .The campsite I was in had some people there so I went in the the woods and to the sites with no people. Then I seen mr park ranger while carrying my detector and a 12" craftsman screwdriver . He said no metal detecting without a permit so I pulled it out and he asked me if I printed it off of my computer I said no I got it from your office after a half hour of him sitting there and calling about it he says ok but one problem it says here not in occupied campsites I said I was in vacant sites and in the woods he says no I understand this paper saying if there is one person in the campsite your not allowed 45 to an hour went by I was being very civil yes sir no sir that was the end of being civil I said so let's say there were no people here but there was one squirel what would happen then he told me to get out of his face and go metal detect by the creek it's not worth the hassle dont waste ur time filling the permit out

Upvote 0

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All those people r wanna be cops with not real power

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
This just goes to show that if someone wants to be a "kill-joy", no amount of permission or "permits" can stop a kill-joy. Solution? Avoid being seen by killjoys, IMHO. Sure you can never 100% be certain when barney-fife will show up. But when it comes to parks and schools, I've actually gotten to where I only hunt them at odd off-shift type hours. Even at night. So peaceful, so serene. :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having worked for the State DNR of Michigan in the past, you'd be amazed at the greed for power some of these Yahoo's get. Best to follow Tom's advice and be outta sight, outta mind.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed with Tom too, if they do see u keep on MD till they come to you

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm ... What if you are the camper and only one there? Does that mean you can't metal detect?

Last winter while we were parked at a Corps of Engineers lake in TX, we were the only RVers in one of the large loops. There was some Dudly Doright ranger driving past slowly, and gawking at least ever hour. Gave us the creeps. He would never stop to chat, just gave us the eye. Maybe the satellite TV in the ranger shack was on the fritz and he didn't have anything to do.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
If a tree fall and there is no one to hear it..........,.,...........,.,,.

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes wearing camo all the more "stylish" don't it? swamp yankee

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well so much for the group detecting in Cooks forest!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread