Fur Trade Brooch?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I am home sick so I'm admittedly a little bored. I found this brooch a couple years ago on the east coast of Canada. If it were silver I would probably have no doubt as to whether it is fur trade related...but it is brass. It's pretty crudely made and I have no idea as to the age of the piece or if it could in any way be considered fur trade. Any input?

Attachments

• rooch 003.jpg
    rooch 003.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 930
  • rooch 004.jpg
    rooch 004.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 748
Upvote 0

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope your illness leaves you soon! ... well I have a feeling it may very well be a trade item.. there have been a number of Brass and Copper brooches found on 1700's sites in my area... here is one I got last year.
Regards
Bob

Attachments

• bbopen.jpg
    bbopen.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 787
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bob...that gives me renewed hope. It was found on an old site.

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Might be... Bob's might have been plated, cause the style matches silver FT broaches exactly, and there is record of plated trade silver.

Showed the pic to a friend, who says it looks more like a early Scottish woman's broach. Note the heavy pin needed for holding a shawl on. FT broaches were more decorative than functional, so a very thin pin.

East coast of Canada would be a good place to find early Scottish immigrants. Of course you might want to look at Viking pins too. :sign13:

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lucas could have a point there on the Viking scenario.. those guys were everywhere it seems and they had almost the same shapes for the brooches ....

Here is one I found made from pot copper .....late 1700's site ... I also found pieces of the pot as well ! :tongue3:

Bob

Attachments

• brooch.jpg
    brooch.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 839
  • pofpot.jpg
    pofpot.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 770

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
OMG! I've seen the marked kettle pieces before, but never made the connection with Native-made broaches! Too cool! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread