billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some White Oak Lumber in rough cut 1" thick boards and some secondary wood called "Red Alder". Of course it was at the very bottom of a stack of mixed framing lumber. Before I dug it out, I got a price on what could be seen. After pulling it out and stacking back the framing boards, I loaded about 50 board feet while soaking wet, but smiling at the price: $20.

On the way home it was getting lunchtime. Heading on the service road, West and just passed a Whataburger, there was a "Pop Up" sign for a moving sale that lead to the people actually setup in the corner of a neighborhood intersection. Found a man's Mountain Bike for $30. Even with flat tires, with the marked rims and carbon fiber rear forks, it just had that "look", so, I bought it....

I'm on a learning curve.... didn't know that Mountain Bikes don't have kickstands.... so to get the pics, I balanced it with the help of a Peach tree limb....

Googled "K2 Proflex 4000". The blue and yellow-trimmed bike was made only in 1998. New, it sold for $2,000 back then.... I thought about keeping it, but I figure that bills for an old man with a broken arm and hip would cost more than $2 grand.... :tongue3:

What do you think the bike is worth? Ft. Worth/Dallas Craigslist?

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 001.JPG
    Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 001.JPG
    497 KB · Views: 127
  • Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 003.JPG
    Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 003.JPG
    479.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 005.JPG
    Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 005.JPG
    641.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 010.JPG
    Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 010.JPG
    589.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 013.JPG
    Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 013.JPG
    687.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 012.JPG
    Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 012.JPG
    630.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 011.JPG
    Garage Sale finds 9_24 16 011.JPG
    608.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet finds! Have never used Alder in the shop. Hope it works out well for you. :thumbsup: As for the oak, AWESOME!! I always loved working with white oak - especially on outdoor projects! Awesome buy!!

Sorry, I can't really comment on the bike. You're right - very cool-looking. However, bikes and I have never really gotten along very well. :dontknow:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bikes in great shape. You should do really well with it. I am not familiar with wood but I know that was a good buy. Congrats!

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bike is probably early 2000s, all the parts look stock unfortunately, nothing fancy aftermarket. k2 is much more of a ski company, bikes are fairly secondary to their business so therefore not a specifically desirable brand. It's not a walmart bike, so that's good.

That being said, you can't go wrong for $30, inflate those tires and I'll bet you'll move it on craigslist fairly quickly for $100-150 or so. Not much more than that unfortunately, at that point you'd be moving into used name brand bike territory.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Red Alder is used in much furniture in on the West coast, as framing and other members that are hidden.
It is so-so as a hardwood, fairly light, but also fairly brittle, with little resistance to cracking.

On the other hand, white oak is SWEET to work with....strong, tough, beautiful when planed.
It is the best of the oaks for general use.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474942072.312729.jpg

Found on eBay. Frame only.

Don't know what people are riding in Texas but up here in Minnesota carbon bikes with the 29" tires & disc brakes are pretty much the "thing". I'd start out asking $250 OBO or so depending on condition. Can always lower the price.....

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1364075

Found on eBay. Frame only.

Don't know what people are riding in Texas but up here in Minnesota carbon bikes with the 29" tires & disc brakes are pretty much the "thing". I'd start out asking $250 OBO or so depending on condition. Can always lower the price.....

Indeed, but to be honest I'd say that seller found one of the few guys who wanted that frame badly enough to look for it online, plus the seller had to tear the bike down, ship the frame, etc, only to get $150. It's not a valuable parts bike (no disk brakes, tubeless rims & tires, brand name front fork/shifter setup/headset) so parting it out would be a waste of time just to maybe get that $150 again, but with ebay fees.

Billjustbill could wait forever on that unicorn buyer who wants that bike enough to pay $250 and not just get a lower end trek or cannondale with a few hundred bike path miles, or he could ask $100-150 and move it out, have a nice cash profit, and move on to the next. It's not outfitted to be a really usable mountain bike as it stands, it'd be great for gravel roads and low key trails but beyond that it'd need some serious upgrades, so the target market is really going to be someone who just needs a bike. It doesn't hurt to start pricing a little high, but you'll get less bites and more haggling.

Just my thoughts, I've sold a lot of mountain bikes and CL buyers can be fickle as I'm sure you know, I find it's best to just try and sell bikes as soon as you can rather than have them take up a bunch of space forever while you wait on that extra $50

Do what feels best to you though, it's your bike now and ultimately it's up to you!

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOLD!

Got a call late this morning from my 13 day old Craigslisting....

The fellow, his wife, and their 2yr. old son came by and left $250.00 behind as they rolled it away on its flat tires.

A Special Thanks to you that gave me insights and info!!!

Bill

Last edited:

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOLD!

Got a call late this morning from my 13 day old Craigslisting....

The fellow, his wife, and their 2yr. old son came by and left $250.00 behind as they rolled it away on its flat tires.

A Special Thanks to you that gave me insights and info!!!

Bill

Well done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions