Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a promising spot did not pan out as expected and a door knock on a suspected Rev War era settlers fort site received a "let me think about it and talk to wife" I was resigned to chase iffy signals at pounded sites again. The highlight being the one piece eagle artillery in crappy condition.

All.JPG

Front and back of the artillery button. You can barely see the A on the shield,

Eagle A 2.JPG Eagle A 2.JPG
Eagle A back.JPG

Other buttons and an oil lamp wick adjuster with an 1865 patent date

Buttons.JPG

I also found a brass handled American Knife pocket knife (top). These are often found in Civil War camps. I found the one on the bottom on a Civil War site in West Virginia.

American Knife.JPG

Hopefully I can come up with some more "post worthy" material over the Thanksgiving holidays - weather and landowners permitting :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 10

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate when I get the, (let me think about response )! Nice way to say no.
I do like the 1 piece eagle, and the 2 pronged fork..
Hope you get on a good one over the holiday.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate when I get the, (let me think about response )! Nice way to say no.
I do like the 1 piece eagle, and the 2 pronged fork..
Hope you get on a good one over the holiday.
Thanks George, have a Happy Thanksgiving and good luck if you get out!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bummer on the LMTAIAATW answer. Looks like you had a great hunt :thumbsup:. Those are some nice buttons.
Really liking that artillery button as well. That sucker looks real familiar.
Like Vino said, that answer was prob a nice way to say no, but I would give it a week or so, and go back and ask one more time :dontknow:.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer on the LMTAIAATW answer. Looks like you had a great hunt :thumbsup:. Those are some nice buttons.
Really liking that artillery button as well. That sucker looks real familiar.
Like Vino said, that answer was prob a nice way to say no, but I would give it a week or so, and go back and ask one more time :dontknow:.
Thanks BP. I knocked on the door with a copy of a book on local forts in my hand. I asked the guy if he had ever seen the book before. I could tell by the befuddled look on his face that he hadn't. I said "well according to this book, there was a Rev War settler's fort in your horse pasture". He had never heard that, but when I explained what I do and offered to share the finds with him, he said "anything you find on my property belongs to me". To which I replied, "that's OK as long as I can get pictures". He took my business card and wrote down the name of the book, and said that they would be moving the horse out of the pasture soon and he would get back to me if he decided to let me in.

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
That looks like a fun hunt to me, Steve. The Eagle A is a great highlight, and I like the iron fork!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's still a nice button. Hopefully next trip will be more fruitful!

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some good digs, Sometimes the best things are found from iffy signals.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really hate it when an owner gives me an answer like that. I'd much rather have them give me a definitive " no " than an answer that keeps you coming back a couple times and then you get the no. Good luck over the next few days!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve - I recently found a couple pieces similar to the knife parts in your last pic, but didn't have a clue as to what they were. Now I know - thanks. Can you date these?

knife parts.jpg

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I hear ya, the "let me think about it" response usually translates to p-f-o !
The old beat sites usually get tired pretty quick once youre there, a new sites just dont come around like they used to years ago; best of luck finding that honeyhole on your next time out!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve - I recently found a couple pieces similar to the knife parts in your last pic, but didn't have a clue as to what they were. Now I know - thanks. Can you date these?

View attachment 1239743

Bill,
These brass handled pocket knives with the name in a channel on the handle are Civil War period. Check page 65 of Crouch's book. The one on the bottom in my pic was found on a union skirmish line in WV among a bunch of Spencer casings. I have seen others posted that came from CW camps.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't use the word "futile" at all.
You have some cool old stuff. Looks like a nice hunt to me.

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BP. I knocked on the door with a copy of a book on local forts in my hand. I asked the guy if he had ever seen the book before. I could tell by the befuddled look on his face that he hadn't. I said "well according to this book, there was a Rev War settler's fort in your horse pasture". He had never heard that, but when I explained what I do and offered to share the finds with him, he said "anything you find on my property belongs to me". To which I replied, "that's OK as long as I can get pictures". He took my business card and wrote down the name of the book, and said that they would be moving the horse out of the pasture soon and he would get back to me if he decided to let me in.

I know everyone is different, and that no one method will work on everyone, for that matter no method at all will work on some. That said I believe that "too much information" is often a bad thing. I don't reveal what I may know unless "they" bring it up first.

In any case don't dewell on the negative, as it is bound to happen, just too bad it was a site with great potential. I guess since he wants it all anyway I'd forget it, and move on. Hey you at least got out, and made some finds. Better luck is coming.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill,
These brass handled pocket knives with the name in a channel on the handle are Civil War period. Check page 65 of Crouch's book. The one on the bottom in my pic was found on a union skirmish line in WV among a bunch of Spencer casings. I have seen others posted that came from CW camps.

Thanks Steve. I didn't realize these knife parts were that old although I did find an 1858 FE cent and an 18th century pewter button there. I'm giving the owner all the finds from this small yard site, and she'll be tickled to know these pieces are CW era.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know everyone is different, and that no one method will work on everyone, for that matter no method at all will work on some. That said I believe that "too much information" is often a bad thing. I don't reveal what I may know unless "they" bring it up first.

In any case don't dewell on the negative, as it is bound to happen, just too bad it was a site with great potential. I guess since he wants it all anyway I'd forget it, and move on. Hey you at least got out, and made some finds. Better luck is coming.
I hear you Rick, but I've used that book to get on several other properties and even gave a copy to one guy. A lot of people are receptive if you tell them some history of their property that they don't know.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the little knife.

Getting one of those responses a person might as well say it a no go, but then again maybe he'll soften up and let you into the pasture. He'll probably just follow you around watching everything that come out of the hole, and it would be a lot iron if somebody watched over my shoulder.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
REALLY NICE FINDS YOU HAVE THERE STEVE .....

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a good hunt! Congrats!
Maybe if you mention names of neighbors where you have hunted, it may persuade him to say yes.
Variety is the spice of life, if you were finding rare relics all the time it would get boring after a while. He may say yes after all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread