Galleon shipwreck in Japan question

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently reading Galleons and Sunken Treasures and I read a reference to the galleon San Francisco that wrecked in Japan. As I'm living in Japan now it caught my interest. Does anyone know where exactly this galleon went down? Any way to find out? It may be mentioned later in the book but I'm trying to savor the book. I don't want to rip through the book too fast.
Thanks

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got nothing on your wreck, but how are things in Japan after the tsunami?

The clean up finished? The Nuclear mess still a mess?

Not much in the news lately, and I would think the nuclear contamination would be of interest to everyone.

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much in the news lately, and I would think the nuclear contamination would be of interest to everyone.

The government passed a new state secret law and after that, strangely enough, the news from Fukushima died out. Fancy that. But please don't get me raving about that. I live in a (as far as I can figure out) very low level fallout Zone. Trapped by a mortgage and chitty world economy that won't let me escape. Darn, see, I'm already raving.
Hey Smithbrown that's the link I was looking for. I checked wiki but didn't get that link. Your wiki mojo is obviously better than mine. Chiba is not so far. I'll have to check it out when I get my new metal detector.
BTW the water in Chiba is prob radioractive (tho we really don't know cause the govt is not letting anyone say), will it affect my detector? AAAArg, raving again.
Any other info is much appreciated.
Thanks.

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I've been searching the net for more info on the San Francisco but can't find much. I want to go to Onjuku with my new metal detector and check it out. Does anyone know how I could go about finding out approximately where the ship went aground?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Spanish galleon San Francisco sank in 1609 on the route from Manila to Acapulco. She sank off O-shima.

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oshima? That googles in Hokkaido. Do you mean Onjuku?
There are a few beaches in the Onjuku area. I'm just wondering if one is more likely to be near where the San Francisco went aground.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Shimoda, South of Kano.

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of Shimodas but I can't find a Kanno. Are you just throwing darts at a map of Japan?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There are lots of Shimodas but I can't find a Kanno. Are you just throwing darts at a map of Japan?

No, I have a chart that shows the wreck location at the southern tip of a peninsula. About 100 miles SW of Tokyo. Look at Google Earth. That's where I got the names of the cities.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No, I have a chart that shows the wreck location at the southern tip of a peninsula. About 100 miles SW of Tokyo. Look at Google Earth. That's where I got the names of the cities.

Hey 6,

That makes it about 8 or 16 on a dart board good shot ha hadde0a

All the best

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
look at potters --a treasure divers guide --it list a Spanish treasure galleon sunk in japanese islands area.

--the Ryukyu Islands--- Yieyama group -- near Okinawa - Miyako islanders * have records dating back over 200 years ago that record a large foreign vessel that sank long ago --a silver candelabrum and a large flag reported to have been salvaged form the wreck are on display at the Miyurn Dunchi palace on nearby Ishigiuki Island --part of the palace is said to have been built with wood recovered from the shipwreck -- its thought to be a Spanish manila galleon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I got it. That's on the Izu peninsula. Is that another wreck? Wikipedia says (yea I know Wiki isn't always right) its in Onjuku on the Boso peninsula SE of Tokyo. That sounds interesting cause I could easily go there on vacation to check out the beaches. Same goes for Onjuku.
a silver candelabrum and a large flag reported to have been salvaged form the wreck are on display at the Miyurn Dunchi palace on nearby Ishigiuki Island
I think you mean Ishigaki Island. It's a popular resort island. I almost went there on vacation this year. I'll have to check that out.
I read stories about how in the sixties people use to find pieces of eight on beaches in Florida and use them as skipping stones cause they didn't know what they were. That's the kind of thing they would do here now. I need to check it out.
I went to a beach here once after a Typhoon and found about $100 in coins, several silver rings, two gold rings, and a gold chain. All in a few hours of swimming with a mask over a few days. I couldn't believe that people missed all that stuff but that's whats it's like here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw Salvor6 sorry I got snarky on you. I appreciate the info.

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On July 25th 1609, accompanied by two other ships, the Santa Anna and San Antonio, the San Francisco sailed out of Manila along the lucrative route to Acapulco. She was under the command of Rodrigo de Vivero, an ex Governor of Manila.

She was a large Manila Galleon of some 1,000 tonnes and amongst her cargo were diamonds, rubies, fine Chinese porcelain, gold coins and artefacts as well as Vivero’s personal wealth and belongings.

A typhoon separated the three vessels off the islands of Japan. The San Francisco was wrecked near Otaki, some forty leagues from Yedo on the eastern coast of Kazusa. Most of the crew and passengers managed to get off the ship and were carried to shore on large pieces of her timbers. There are also reports of some of her cargo being washed up on the local beaches but most sank with her.

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The San Francisco was wrecked near Otaki, some forty leagues from Yedo on the eastern coast of Kazusa. Most of the crew and passengers managed to get off the ship and were carried to shore on large pieces of her timbers. There are also reports of some of her cargo being washed up on the local beaches but most sank with her.

Well if Kazusa is the modern Katsuura then it ties in with the Onjuku location. Certainly Otaki does.
Get this. I was talking about mding with a coworker and another coworker joined in. He is into mding too, and he has a car, and he has the same day off. So it looks as though we will start searching for the San Francisco. Kind of. Some of the beaches out that way are popular so we are going to md them for more modern stuff. If we find more all the better.

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw if anyone has any more info it would be much appreciated.

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OK BUT please save a Coin or Two for Me!! :thumbsup:

1. The San Francisco struck reefs at about 10 p.m.

2. Vivero estimated that they were approximately two leagues/miles from shore.

3. There is a shoal called Mashio Ne 3 miles SE of Toriyama Hana (Iwawada). There are also shoals and reefs lying 8 cables SSW and one mile east of the shoreline of Yubanda / Iwawada between Hachiman Saki and Toriyama Hana.

4. The following morning, Vivero and the other survivors managed to reach the shore by clinging to pieces of the ship which broke up on the reef.

5. In a written report of the sinking, it is stated that the survivors were washed up on a beach approximately one league from Yubanda.

6. Between Hachiman Saki and Toriyama Hana there is a four mile stretch of beach. Yubanda / Iwawada is situated at the northern end of this beach.

Yubanda is now called Iwawada on modern day Admiralty charts and is located near Toriyama Hana in the Chiba district of south eastern Japan.

7. It is recorded that the cargo, that was valued at one hundred thousand ducados, and an amount of diamonds and rubies were lost in the San Francisco.

TW..

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woa, bronzecannons, awesome info. If this works out there will definitely be payback coming your way. Now I can set up a strategy for exploring. Sweet. Many, many thanks.
Just out of curiosity, is there a story about this that I can read. I'm starting to get interested in this Galleon.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread