MikeyWalsh

Greenie
Mar 8, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to metal detecting and bought me a Bounty Hunter Tk4 to start with. I wanted to try it out along the Seawall in Galveston. Does anybody know if it is legal to metal detect there? Also if it is legal what times are allowed on the beach? I would really like night detecting (don't want to be bothered much by crowds and less sun).

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's legal....but I suggest you be very careful if you plan on going at night. Some very unsavory characters out there at night.

OP
OP
M

MikeyWalsh

Greenie
Mar 8, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly they are not the ones I'm worried about. I carry protection, don't plan on using it but its there if needed. I don't want to be on a beach then approached by Officers saying I'm not allowed there at night or I'm not allowed to detect. I just know that at parks I have to leave at certain times.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sadly they are not the ones I'm worried about. I carry protection, don't plan on using it but its there if needed. I don't want to be on a beach then approached by Officers saying I'm not allowed there at night or I'm not allowed to detect. I just know that at parks I have to leave at certain times.

If "unsavory" persons are out on the beach at night (and lovers on a stroll, and dog-walkers, and whomever), then do you really think there's going to be an officer, singling out an md'r, saying "you can't do that?" Me thinks you're over-thinking this. Just go. :)

OP
OP
M

MikeyWalsh

Greenie
Mar 8, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if it sounds like I'm overthinking it. Just don't want to be penalized for any wrongdoing.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Just don't want to be penalized for any wrongdoing.

Nobody "wants" to be "penalized". I understand the question that pops up for so many places (to which there's no laws or no problems).

It would be like someone worrying "am I allowed to fly frisbees here ? Might I be penalized if I skipped stones on the pond?" etc.... Someone else may look at those questions and wonder "what the heck is he worried about ?" (esp. since you can see a local already chimed in and said it's no problem to md).

But I understand how the question pops up for even seemingly innocuous places (leaving long-timers to say "what's the fuss or question about ?"). Here's how it evolves: A newbie gets a detector. They pop onto forums to read and learn. But lo & behold, they see a post from some far-away place, where someone "got hassled". Or they read of a place that's "off-limits". So the wheels of their head turn and they wonder "gee is it allowed where I'm at?"

It's sort of the psychology of shark attacks: NO MATTER HOW RARE (given the thousands of people who swim daily in the ocean everywhere), yet .... the minute a single shark attack hits the news, then guess what everyone who swims at the beach will fear ? Shark attacks. Never mind that your odds are better at getting struck by lightening. So too is it with md'ing. No matter how far away and how isolated some "rule" or "hassle" was, the ripple effect starts , and every one rushes to ask bored pencil pushers "can I?".

But glad you're asking here. Don't go put any ideas into the minds of any bored archies or bureaucrats there :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeyWalsh

Greenie
Mar 8, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go ahead and call me a newb if you want but Im the guy that always gets hassled. I can do stuff by the book and still get hassled. Its annoying but I have many hobbies and comply with all laws for each.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are worried about the hassle, then you'll be looking for it. I see what Tom_in_CA says and at the same time, looking at the town/county regs to see if anything is listed will give you a start. You have two responses stating it is legal except for Galveston Island Park, which I would expect. I look to see if there are any town or city regs on their websites about metal detecting, if not, go for it. I did it for the Outer Banks of NC and found that it is prohibited for the area that falls within the boundaries of the National Wildlife refuge there but all the rest of the areas are open. Just check, and go with it if nothing outright says no. Most often some "Lookie-Loo" who either is nosey or thinks they know the law and you are breaking it calls and the authorities have to do something if nothing other than check and see what you are doing. Some may not do anything, other may say scram, if so, be nice, pack your toys up and move on. I don't see jail time and most police, etc. would rather be working something else unless they MD and want to get into a conversation with you about it. Might make a friend and new source of hunts and no hassles, who knows? Okay, enough, off of my soap box and Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread