deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made it it for a few hours today and found my first silver of the month and 9th for the year, 57 Rosie.
My very first hit and hole dug I found my first bird band. Haven't followed up with it yet to see what bird and where it was band.
Minutes after the band I dug the GAP badge, Grand Army of the Republic, Union vets badge. At the same site also found the 60's dog tag.
The kid and I didn't stay long here, we left here and made a trip to our ole Bed and Breakfast site to see if we could save a few more CW bullets.
My first hit there was the Minnie ball from the Washington arsenal. We've hammered this property pretty hard but, always seem to find a few keepers every time we hit it. Things were slow but then found the flat button and eagle button.
Not sure what the piece next to the flat button and above the dog tag? When I first pulled it out of the hole caked in dirt I thought I had a bullet.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    409 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 18

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess on your unknown item,, I think you have found a "Cleaner" bullet.
The "Bird Band" doesn't match the standard Homer Racing Pigeon Band. It may be a private band instead of a club band.
I really like the G.A.R. badge / medal.
Congrats on the silver.

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ATW is correct about the Homer Racing Pigeon Band , but because it says Washington DC, it wouldnt be a private band. I believe it may be a duck band. I have found 3 pigeon bands, 1 duck band and 2 goose bands. Pigeon bands usually have a 2 letter code on them according to the club or private registration that they use. You can find this info online by googling Pigeon racing bands. Otherwise to find out for sure you will just have to write to find out. If you do, they will send you a certificate with all of the birds info on it for your efforts.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a nice assortment of finds deershed.:occasion14:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Deershed, Congrat's to you on some cool CW relics. Nice save. The GAR badge is really nice along with the buttons. I believe the piece you are talking about (unidentified), may be a finial of some sort off of a leather box such as a cartridge box. Well Done.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found three, you can plug in all the info and they will send you a certificate all about your bird/duck/goose/hawk
I found a black duck, and two osprey hawk bands

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Called in my info. on the band I found. They couldn't tell me off hand what species of bird it was, when I get my certificate it will have that information.
They could tell me it was banded 7 miles west of Mantitoba Canada September 4th 1977.
Pretty cool!

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome...I'm an avid duck hunter and I would consider a duck band from the 70's a killer find...I have harvested well over 1,000 ducks and only got one band...very curious to know the species of duck

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome...I'm an avid duck hunter and I would consider a duck band from the 70's a killer find...I have harvested well over 1,000 ducks and only got one band...very curious to know the species of duck

Ill be sure to post when I get my certificate.
I shot a goose years ago that had a leg band and called it in but, never received any info. back on it. When I called this tag in I got a number to get that info. on the goose?

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You shouldn't have any problem with getting results for a Federal Avise metal band like the one you found, was the goose a plastic band? The snow geese here are often plastic but still reportable...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the silver and nice relics! :occasion14:

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You shouldn't have any problem with getting results for a Federal Avise metal band like the one you found, was the goose a plastic band? The snow geese here are often plastic but still reportable...

The goose band was like this one, not sure if it was a Avise tag or what. It had a number to call right on the tag.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, deershed. Good finds, good research, good info........gotta start looking for those bird bands.............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread