Garage sale detector find

Kilgore Trout

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2008
This is my first post at Treasure Net but I have been lurking for years. Since metal detecting is my main hobby I am always on the look out for detectors and related stuff when I hit the garage sales. Recently I was at a garage sale and didn't see anything I wanted to spend my money on. While driving away I happened to notice that the next door neighbor was also having a sale. I wasn't going to stop but out of the corner of my eye I spotted a detector leaning up against the garage wall. Naturally I pulled over and casually made my way over to where the detector was. I picked it up and saw that it was a Garrett Gold Scorpion. I knew that this detector retailed for over $400 and it seemed to be in good condition, though I couldn't get it to turn on. There was a $20 tag on it and I asked the woman running the sale what she knew about the machine. Turns out it was her Ex's and she thought it ran OK but the batteries were probably dead and she didn't know how to check them. I pretended to be indecisive and she finally asked me to make an offer. I said, " How about $10?" She said "Sold". I brought it home and put in some new batteries, and it worked fine. I ended up trading it to a dealer for about $200 worth of stuff I wanted.

S

sailrunner

Would it have killed ya to give the ladie the $20 for it? Geez :(

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
sailrunner said:
Would it have killed ya to give the ladie the $20 for it? Geez :(

but what if it *wasn't* the batteries?

Besides, it's a garage sale!

I once got a huge, two room tent in perfect condition for $3 because the seller didn't want to have to figure out how to fold it up again! I'd told him I didn't have enough, 'cuz the other stuff I'd bought had only left me with the $3.

"SOLD!" the man said. Alrighty then!

Nan

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Since it was her EX's it may have given her satisfaction selling it for $10. :wink:

I see nothing wrong with dickering over a price. I've done it several times and usually end up happy paying a middle ground price or lower. :thumbsup:

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a Garrett. $10 is about all it's worth.

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Good eye and great deal. Not only did you get what YOU wanted but someone who wants that detector will be able to purchase a slightly used model for less than a new one. I agree that it was up to the seller to accept or decline on your offer. It's not like you told her it doesn't work and you were doing her a favor by giving her ten bucks. You just never know til you ask to know for sure if the seller would take less. If you hadn't come along she may have been stuck with the detector or maybe would have tossed it in the trash. I thing everyone was a winner in that deal.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
SC_CATFISH said:
It's a Garrett. $10 is about all it's worth.
Looks like you have a lot of detectors listed. Can't find one that works right. Maybe if you had a "$10 Garrett" you could get rid of the others :stop:

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
Kilgore Trout said:
This is my first post at Treasure Net but I have been lurking for years. Since metal detecting is my main hobby I am always on the look out for detectors and related stuff when I hit the garage sales. Recently I was at a garage sale and didn't see anything I wanted to spend my money on. While driving away I happened to notice that the next door neighbor was also having a sale. I wasn't going to stop but out of the corner of my eye I spotted a detector leaning up against the garage wall. Naturally I pulled over and casually made my way over to where the detector was. I picked it up and saw that it was a Garrett Gold Scorpion. I knew that this detector retailed for over $400 and it seemed to be in good condition, though I couldn't get it to turn on. There was a $20 tag on it and I asked the woman running the sale what she knew about the machine. Turns out it was her Ex's and she thought it ran OK but the batteries were probably dead and she didn't know how to check them. I pretended to be indecisive and she finally asked me to make an offer. I said, " How about $10?" She said "Sold". I brought it home and put in some new batteries, and it worked fine. I ended up trading it to a dealer for about $200 worth of stuff I wanted.
good score trout and WELCOME TO T NET

toolman61

May 31, 2008
Very nice score!! Garage sales are meant to haggle the prices. Or to me they aren't any fun. Most us would like to think we're pretty good at haggeling to! Hope you guys never show up at my yard sales though lol J/K I find so much stuff junking I make alot of extra cash and it's mostly all free! So lets haggle HH Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions