Garage Sale: Gold and silver

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
Saturday started very slow but I went back to a sale that I had hit Friday. New Items not out Friday. The watches were in the Lady Elgin box and marked 50 cents.

The antique drink stirrers/straws were in a card board box marked 25 cents. These are sterling and each are eight inches long.

The Elgin watch is 10k gold filled as is the Gruen. The watch pictured on the bottom is a Bulova and is 14k gold!

The Bulova and the Elgin have been working for over 36 hours. I had to wind them.

Attachments

• BULOVA.jpg
    BULOVA.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,100
  • BUL14K.jpg
    BUL14K.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,097
  • STIR2.jpg
    STIR2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,088
  • STIR.jpg
    STIR.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,086

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am starting to buy gold filled items also. Easy to calculate their value. Figuer out what it is worth as regular gold and divide by the fraction.

e.g. 15 grams 12K 1/20 gold filled (gold@$950oz)
full gold value would be $229
gold filled value would be $11.45

I try to buy GF at around 25¢ to 50¢ each. I point out that it does have some gold value but it is still costume jewelry. (also look at old glasses frames)
My refiner wants a minimum or 500 grams before he will accept a batch. That is only 16 troy ounces. (500gr 12K 1/20 GF = about $380)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
cyberdan said:
I am starting to buy gold filled items also. Easy to calculate their value. Figuer out what it is worth as regular gold and divide by the fraction.

I try to buy GF at around 25¢ to 50¢ each. I point out that it does have some gold value but it is still costume jewelry. (also look at old glasses frames)
My refiner wants a minimum or 500 grams before he will accept a batch. That is only 16 troy ounces. (500gr 12K 1/20 GF = about $380)
Good to know.

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
cyberdan said:

I am very interested in knowing more about this. Who do you sell this GF stuff to? Is there somebody online? Do you extract the gold yourself? Any hints or ideas on how I can start doing this too? I always throw my gold filled stuff in the trash because the coin dealer I sell my gold to won't buy GF stuff. Any help for me?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SteveDodds said:
Who do you sell this GF stuff to? Is there somebody online? Do you extract the gold yourself? Any hints or ideas on how I can start doing this too? I always throw my gold filled stuff in the trash because the coin dealer I sell my gold to won't buy GF stuff. Any help for me?
STOP SELLING YOUR GOLD TO A COIN DEALER!!!!!!!!!!
Does your coin dealer pay 98% of spot?
My refinery does. I now have my 4th batch in their shop. Tonight I am packing my 5th for shipment tomorrow, unless gold drops a bunch today.

Actually I use two refineries, one charges 2%, the other charges 2% or 5% and I can't figure out ahead of time which will be charged.

Just save up all your gold filled, it will take a while to find 500 gr.

I will only reccommend my refinery and contact guy off line. Never had any problems with them but who knows what the future will bring. (this message will be up forever) Send me a PM or email and I will be glad to tell anyone privately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions