Garden Help!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if moth balls would work or not. It would probably take a lot even with a small garden. I know a guy who uses a coyote decoy and he swears by it. Though I have seen geese walking around them so not sure Im convinced.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
If it doesn't bother your neighbore this may work.

My wife's Grandfather keeps a radio playing in his garden shed and it keeps groundhogs, moles, etc. away. I don't know if it's the sound or the vibrations but it works.

If that don't work, I recommend a cat or two.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
They also sell repellents at the hardware, but don't put it directly on the plants, just do the perimeter of the garden.

A couple cats is your best bet, we have cats and have no problem with small critters, only the deer.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
mainer said:
Not sure if moth balls would work or not. It would probably take a lot even with a small garden. I know a guy who uses a coyote decoy and he swears by it. Though I have seen geese walking around them so not sure Im convinced.

Moth balls are a great idea mainer. :thumbsup:

Maybe we can get rid of this dam butterfly. :laughing9:

Sorry, I'm off topic. The best way to get rid of those pesky little varmits is get yourself a good cat. :wink:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the talk of moth balls must have been enough to get rid of it RPG. Im butterfly :icon_thumright: :icon_pirat: free.

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Well You can do a cheap radio in a wooden box tuned to a station 'noize'. Surveying ribbon. Lime powder. Scarecrow. Plastic doodads. This is kind of the hillbilly way of gardening, my Papa lives in the hills and this is what he does. Animals hate this stuff!

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
You need a bird of prey near your garden, something like a hawk. If you can find a fake one, make sure you move it every day. Critters ain't stupid for long, especially if they're hungry. With any luck, you'll attract a real hawk...!

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
"achy breaky heart" would work Tee, but all Humans must wear earplugs so it doesn't effect them.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
You might check and see if your local sporting goods store sells anything like fox or coyote urine scent. Sprinkle it around the your garden and that should keep them out if the moth balls don't do it (I'm sure moth balls are a lot cheaper).
Funny story about fox urine...the University of Nebraska had a problem with people cutting their evergreen trees and using them for Christmas trees so they sprayed them with fox urine. When the tree bandits got them in their house and the trees warmed up to room temp the scent kicked in and they had to toss them. The ones who had Christmas trees out on the curb before Christmas was over got busted. :laughing7:

HH Charlie

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post this on the politics section, they might be able to help.
Carl
Like the cat idea the best.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Theres never too many of those destructive little varmits to shoot. If your family don't hunt check around with neighbors etc. Offer to buy a few boxes of .22 ammo for your "hit man" and let him clean up. It won't leave much of a mess as those little fellers are cannibals also and will drag the dead and wounded down their burrows.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chili pepper powder.
They may be eating your jalipinos but they cant stand the powder.
Manufacturers of bird food put it in the mix specifically to deter squirrls and it works. They have to smell their food and the powder irritates their sense of smell.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread