Garnets? Rubies?

Apr 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190411_041720.jpg

I found this at the bottom of a pan after panning for gold.

Found at a huge river.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably garnets. They occur with gold a lot.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree they are garnets.. but they are still cool

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes they are garnets, I understand some miners are fascinated by them because they are rare but in my state they are a nuisance, so many, one river I have mined has no gold but running one bucket threw my sluice turns it blood red with garnets. They range from 1/2 inch to 1/8 inch in size, all other rivers I mine have a lot too. Great indicator for gold and on one river I mine you can see behind every rock on the surface after a flood garnets sitting there with black sand and mixed in is gold, easy mining.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garnets are great indicators because they are comprised of many different elements. Knowing what type of garnet a person has in a particular area can lead to other discoveries.

Here for instance, I have Ilmenite which is close cousin to Melanite garnet. Either one has a lot of titanium in them giving them their black color. But Titanium, in a copper-zinc sulfides area? No wonder I found PGM's...this is just the type of deposit they are found.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never done this, but want to someday, is make a piece of jewelry from the gold/silver I have found, and add especially nice Ilmenite to it for my wife. I know there is no inherent value in that, but not a lot of wives can say their husband made them their own jewelry either.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never done this, but want to someday, is make a piece of jewelry from the gold/silver I have found, and add especially nice Ilmenite to it for my wife. I know there is no inherent value in that, but not a lot of wives can say their husband made them their own jewelry either.

Back in 2013 I made a wedding band for my wife from gold I’d dug. Fun to do and she loves to show it off and brag about my prospecting now [emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji177]

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back in 2013 I made a wedding band for my wife from gold I’d dug. Fun to do and she loves to show it off and brag about my prospecting now [emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji177]

That is really cool, and I remember you saying that, and I have had a lot of respect for you since.

Happy wife, happy digging! It does not rhyme but I guess it works!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread