Garret AT gold VS whites Gmt gold master

MangaRang

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
Hey everyone I a very new to prospecting and I am looking at different brands of detectors to purchase.
I am curretly a big fan of hiking and would love to do some detecting in the wilderness or old minimg areas for gold while on hikes.
These two detectors are the ones that has caught my eye and are around my cost of 1000 australian dollors.
I am really starting to lean towards the gmt gold master but I would love to hear other peoples opinion on the pro's and cons of each detector cheeers..

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were u & its just opinion ur looking for gold mayb ask in gold prospecting forum in here I think there's a section dedicated to guys who detect just for gold with detectors might b the way to go

ripcurl382

Greenie
Jun 19, 2012
Alpharetta, GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT GOLD vs. GMT

Hey everyone I a very new to prospecting and I am looking at different brands of detectors to purchase.
I am curretly a big fan of hiking and would love to do some detecting in the wilderness or old minimg areas for gold while on hikes.
These two detectors are the ones that has caught my eye and are around my cost of 1000 australian dollors.
I am really starting to lean towards the gmt gold master but I would love to hear other peoples opinion on the pro's and cons of each detector cheeers..

I know this thread is a little old but figure the question is still relevant.

I have both a Whites GMT and a Garrett AT Gold. I found my first gold nugget/picker with the GMT working in a creek. I found a .4 gram flat piece sitting on a crack along the bedrock. It sounded off pretty loud. Since that nugget I decided to pick up a completely waterproof detector so I didn't have to worry about slipping and falling in the water. So after a lot of research I decided to go with the AT Gold.

Now I haven't found any more nuggets since with either detector, but the AT Gold quickly became my favorite go to machine. It detects the small nugget I found when I test it, and I have since done quite a bit of fresh water beach detecting over the summer. I have found many tiny earring backs and small pieces of jewelry, gold and costume. It's really simple to set up and I find it easy to run. When looking for small pieces of jewelry / gold I wouldn't focus so much on reading the display. I would just listen for tiny beeps or inconsistencies in the threshold and then dig the targets. I've found tiny earing backs 6"+ down in sand. The signal is very faint, but enough to peak my curiosity and make me dig. I'm confident that if I'm out nugget hunting I'll find anything at least .4 gram or bigger. The hot rocks do make it a little more difficult to discern tiny gold from the surrounding hot rock, but that's an issue for most all detectors in the hottest areas. I think a half gram nugget or bigger will sound off pretty strong if I come across one along exposed bedrock. I love this machine!

The GMT may hit a little harder on the smallest of gold pickers, but it really has to be right against the coil. For me, those little pickers are probably not worth the time as the signal for them is going to be really hard to tell apart from the hot rocks anyway. I assume cover more ground and look for larger gold. Hoping to get a little more free time this winter to try to hit up the gold bearing areas near me with the AT Gold and find some more nuggets. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread