Garret at propointer and DEUS problems

I am not sure that I understand the issue. I have a Deus and an AT ProPointer too.

I believe you are saying that the Deus picks up the pin pointer. If I get my pin pointer within about three feet of the coil, I can hear it, but, I don't recall it being an issue. I just move the coil farther from hole (pin pointer), and it settles down.

In the 12 kh program I use the propointer drives it crazy man I mean crazy , the other propointer doesnt affect the machine really a little static here and there but this one takes over the audio and makes it just static. I called garrett and it is a issue the propointers frequecnys vary just a little so the second one I bought varies just enough that its not compatible with the 12 kh programs I run . SO if you run 12 kh program and buy a garrett carrot it may or may not work with the 12 kh programs. The tech said garrett only guarantees that it wont interfere with the garrett machines and thats understandable. I know you can shift the 12 kh a little but I heard a guy say it kills depth when you do that havent tested it but thats what Heath Jones said on his video.

EDIT: After re-reading the post, I can see that you are aware of that trick. I am not expert, but that little frequency shift could not hurt depth very much, if at all.

OK, I got it. Have you tried this?

Go in the 12kh program, and "adjust" 12kh up or down a little bit. You know, how you can adjust the machines so that they don't interfere with each other when other Deus's are in 12kh... maybe that little adjustment will cure the issue from the one pin pointer.

I assume mine is programmed such that it doesn't interfere with my Deus... whew!

Best of luck CD.

My Garrett AT-PP definitely chattered the XP Deus up at 12khz. Not something I covered in a video (not sure why) but it was definitely there.

The Ace 400 (10khz) that bowwinkles sent me also chattered when the AT-PP was turned on if I remember correctly...which I thought was odd both being Garrett products. Perhaps the main reason they have a freq shift on the 400? :laughing7:

yeah they told me that where they make the propointers they vary on frequency a little so this explains why some affect the deus in 12 kh and some dont the pro pointers are suppose to be 12 kh too. They did say that the garrett products were not supposed to affected by it.

Two comments:

If I had to keep Deus at 12 khz for some reason, I would rather remove my headphones during target recovery if the pinpointer causes excessive chatter than take a permanent hit on depth capability by constantly using frequency shift. Note also that Tx power is fixed (at 2, I think) when in freq shift mode.

All the more reason why the forthcoming integrated wireless Deus pinpointer accessory is intriguing to me.

Update I talked to Heath Jones and he said the reason he said that is when you shift it it locks your tx into3 and sometimes that has a positive effect and sometimes it has a negative effect just according to what soil your in.Where he lives in ala it hurts him because of his soil and he loses depth when he shifts because it locks tx on 3.

The next program over was 8khz...so when I knelt down to turn on the AT-PP I just hit the +/- button to go over a program...a quick fix of sorts. Taking off the headphones works as well.

that sounds aggravating to me when I dig a hundred holes in a day. I will get my old one back from my son in law and give him the new one. Heath said the whites trx does the same thing anybody know about this? The moral of this story is hurry up Deus and come out with the goods!

The next program over was 8khz...so when I knelt down to turn on the AT-PP I just hit the +/- button to go over a program...a quick fix of sorts. Taking off the headphones works as well.

I do the same thing, switch over to an 8k program when i need to use at-pp. The at-pp drive my deus nuts in 12k, which drive me nuts.

Me too Calabash... exact same issue. Luckily my buddies one didn't drive my Deus crazy otherwise I don't known what I would have done. I have thought of contacting Garrett but being a great procrastinator I haven't done so.

It wont do you any good to contact them they cant do anything for you. He said that their tolerences in production allow that much difference in the frequency.

Yeah, that works probably better than pulling headphones (agree the latter is a PITA). To be honest, my carrot doesn't interfere (unless I happen to set it down next to the coil, ha) so I guess I got lucky on the frequency setting on mine so I don't have to pull my h/p or switch programs during target recovery.

Also, I went to the Deus Bible - Also known as Andy's Handbook and confirmed the following (factoid box on p. 32): You cannot offset 4khz at all and Tx power is locked at 3 when operating at that frequency [that is one case where the high beams in fog analogy comes in, for highly minerlized soil, as shown on the FeO bargraph display, then high Tx power can actually reduce detection effectiveness like high beams getting scattered in the fog, therefore, 4 khz may not be ideal for highly mineralized soils since you cannot reduce Tx power]. For the other three operating frequencies, use of any +/- offset will lock Tx power at 2. This makes sense since the coil is probably tuned to be optimal at the base frequencies and less efficiencient at the offsets so driving more power into the coil is counterproductive. hth

Last edited:
So it is tx 2 and not 3.

So it is tx 2 and not 3.

Correct, locked at Tx power 2 if using frequency offset (+/-) for 8, 12, or 18 Khz and locked at Tx power 3 for 4 khz ops period (you can't freq offset 4 khz).

thanks for the info. so it would have no effect on depth where im at.

thanks for the info. so it would have no effect on depth where im at.

Yeah, from a Tx power perspective, I think it would have an overall minimal effect if you used freq offset at 12 khz since Tx power = 2 is middle of the road Tx power and should work under most soil conditions except for very heavy mineralized soil. What I do not know is how efficient the coil is operating when in a +/- offset since it is optimized for the base frequency and not the offset frequency. There is no discussion of that in Andy's book other than he suggests reducing sensitivity first if interference is an issue and then going to frequency offset to avoid having to set sensitivity so low (to avoid interfrence) that you severely impact detection depth.

I experienced the same interference last weekend for the first time using That sifter program. I just bumped up to my next program when I had my pp on and it stopped. I'll try the tx change. Thanks for the info. Vic

that sounds aggravating to me when I dig a hundred holes in a day. I will get my old one back from my son in law and give him the new one. Heath said the whites trx does the same thing anybody know about this? The moral of this story is hurry up Deus and come out with the goods!

Yes it does, the Deus on 12K even drives the TRX nuts. Causes the TRX to false sometimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back