Garrett 150 got wet

1960vw

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2008
sacramento , ca
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Bounty Hunter VLF
My 150 was in my shed and during a major storm , water from a leak got on my control panel. It now does not power up. I replaced batteries and ran cool air from a blow dryer to dry innards after taking cover off to expose electronics . No luck, still no power. I emailed Garrett for advice two weeks ago but got no response. Customer service? :( Do I chuck it and by a new one or can it be saved? Thanks!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be saved...... Since you dried it out and used fresh batteries you might have another problem. Go to their website for the phone # for support for instructions on sending it back. Only buy another if you want to get the 250 or 350 for more $$$.

Oh, yeah, welcome to Tnet. :hello:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try to Power it up
Before you Dried it ?

If you did, something may have Fried.

Take Sandman's advice

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1960vw said:
Jeff, I did, so you're probably right :(

Hopefully the first thing After the Battery Conection
Fried.
This should have prevented Fruther problems up through
the system.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much time have you given it to dry out ? completely. I once gave a cell phone a drink, I also thought it was toast. after I think 4 or 5 days sitting on top of the refigerator as I was told to do, it came back to life. I'm not argueing with anyone, your detector may be fried. I think I would give it a couple of days sitting somewhere warm.

OP
OP
1960vw

1960vw

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2008
sacramento , ca
Detector(s) used
I'll give it a try, Jeff. It's been inside my home a week, so it should be dry. I'll take it apart and clean what I can. I'll call Garrett my next day off and see what thay say. I will report on their comments when they do. Thanks again to all for of your help! :wink:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another Option would be to open the Control Box
& But it in a cardboad Box with a bags worth of Dry rice.
till the day Before your Ready to call then try it again

a Large open Box of baking powder next to it
in a cardboard box,
May draw out Moisture Also

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Every time i dunked my detector i opened it up let it set for 4 days did nothing else and then put it back together....... And it worked every time did not use a blow dryer or set it in rice just set it on a nice big rag.........Did the same with my cell phone.......and they did not have water dripping on them they fell in the and was covered with water had to reach in and pull them out............... And i never heard of dry ice to dry out anything new to me..........

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard if you turn on electronics while still wet........POOF!!!

OP
OP
1960vw

1960vw

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2008
sacramento , ca
Detector(s) used
Well, some good news from Garrett. It would cost $94 for repairs , mother board fried , or 40% off on a new one of my choice! I went with another ACE150, since I got real good with it, for $107.97, plus $10 shipping. Pretty fair deal I think! Thanks Myra at Garretts for great service ! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread