GARRETT 1500 GTI; 37 COINS IN TWO HOURS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Decided to go out for the second time with the 1500 and test the coin shooting mode. Was busy digging and did not dig one piece of trash.

All clads, which I expected, ball field about 5 min from my home. Spent less than 2 hours and worked an area about 20ft. by 40 ft. Had a bench near by where I had my coffee and pipe for a few breaks (life is good sometimes).

Sure is true that your not digging trash with 1500's ability, your digging coins.

Used the factory coin mode, adjusted the sensitivity down to 4; also turned the vol way down.

20 pennies, 12 dimes, 5 quarters. No nickles; have to experiment with that; the tabs, (pass over them on the ground without a peep), are close to the same sensitivity and have to play with the 4.5, 5, and 5.5 slot, perhaps even the 3 slot but that is getting into foil.

Target I.D. was on, although a few dimes did show as pennies, on two dimes the size graph showed coin but it seemed to have a halo flashing, not sure what that is.

Had a few locations where coins were very close, took a bit longer to get a good location, using the standered coil. Might help if it was smaller in this situation.

Field is near a train track and when the first went by I was going to get my ears from the van; decided to test it just using the graph, had no problem, machine was right on only using the graph and not hearing the tones.

Still testing to be done, but all in all, I am very, very impressed with the coin shooting quality. It is a demon on coins. Have to find a soft area or dig a garden and test the sensitivity for depth yet, today was only working in the two to four or five inch range.

all have a good un.........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Attachments

• cfield (Small).jpg
    cfield (Small).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you and the 1500 are getting along. My 2500 has problems with nickels too, or at least I do. They sound just like a pull tab and if you discriminate out pull tabs you also lose nickels! I discriminate out the block under the 5 and rely on the next block to the right which will also indicate nickels. If it's steady and doesn't waiver it more often than not is a nickel, but not always. I think these are probably the most accureate pinpointing machines available. Very rarelly if ever miss a target using the pinpoint feature. Nice job and good report. JIM

g45_70

Mar 25, 2005
Kalispell, Montana
You will find that the 1500 will reach deep and pull dimes and buttons from beyond 9", at least it does in my soil here. I wish you the best of luck with your 1500. ;) ~~~GENE~~~

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
its kind of cool to see what the different soil condishings can do to coins around the world...please everyone show us your colored coins and tell us where you dug them

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Northeast, I was wanting to say the same thing, Sherman's coins do have a different tint than the ones around here. Good coinshooting though!

M

mattjd

Ya the 1500 does do a good job at excluding the trash. I always hunt in jewlery mode though cause you'll miss deep pennys if you hunt in coin mode.

As far as nickels go, just hunt with two extra bars (one on the left and one on the right) on either side under the nickel reading area. And only dig the nickel signal if it's "B" size. If you get a nickel signal and it's "C" size then it's a pull tab.

HH MattJD

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all,

for the comments, suggestions, and tips. Will give them all a try.

Was a bit concerned that a new machine would be hard to learn, so far this one has been interesting, and also fun.
Sure something will come up that I will start cussing it out, but so far so good.

Will keep you all posted on progress.

Again thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

all have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
Sherm

on my GTA 1000 when I use coin mode I add on notch at to the low end to catch nickles.

XX XXXXXXXXX COIN MODE
XXX XXXXXXXXX COIN MODE WITH ADDED NOTCH

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Sherman!