Garrett 250 ? problems

Bluedogcards

Jan 12, 2013
El Reno Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Well iether am having trouble with my garrett or i just having problems, first am a little tone death, but when i get the tones. the display shows it at .10 cents and when i go back over it it will show as a 1.00, so i pinpoint it and pull my plug i see nothing so i will run the detector back over it and nothing is there no more tones or nothing on display, i did change the batt. and still doing the same thing and thought????/

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a crushed can. I get jumpy signals normally when I am over a can, and can usually tell by using the pinpoint option to check the size of the object. I bet if you dug around the plug you originally pulled, that you would find a mangled can.

OP
OP
B

Bluedogcards

Jan 12, 2013
El Reno Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The signals are jumpy from time to time. am seaching are small plat of land i own that had a house on it untill the early 80's so am getting a lot of junk home was built in the 19 teens,

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People say using the sniper coil in a junk area will help with some of those jumpy signals. I've not used one, as I use my pinpoint function to size up a jumpy hit to see if it is worth digging or not.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sounds like you need to lower the sensitivity if you are getting falsing. Unless there is actually something in the hole you are missing, then you only need a pin pointer and your detector is fine.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you need a hand held pin pointer. My ace can sound on 22 casings and bullets. Without a pin pointer I would never have found the tiny targets.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a pin pointer would solve your issues.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raise your coil a foot off the ground..if you are still getting a signal..its probally a crushed Can as mentioned above. The first day i took my ACE 250 out , almost all my signals were half dollars and dollars....i had my sensitvity set too high in the area i was in

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta ask if there is a lot of trash in the area your detecting? Do you suspect there are any utilities buried, power-gas-sprinkler system-water lines? Does your machine go nuts occasionally *an effect of emi or just to high a sensitivity setting*? Have you properly rebalanced the machine and tried again?

No need to answer those questions here, they are things I think about while detecting and having problems similar to your own. I've had the same problem on pretty much all of the machine's I've run over the years.... target shows in the dime or higher scales but bounces around and when dug seems to disappear.
Same with pinpointing such targets and still getting an empty hole and vanished signal.

Here are some suggestions *you may have tried* as to how limit this kind of problem.

Go to all metal or pinpoint mode and find a clean patch near the suspect target, rebalance your detector detector on it and sweep again.
(my result is that the target usually disappears, mineralization can occur in patches so balancing near such a patch can eliminate this)

If rebalancing does not help go again to pinpoint or all metal and sweep around the target and see how many other targets pop up within a diameter of the size coil you have. If there are a lot of them dig a few out, trash or not, starting form a clean *quiet* spot on the outside edge and work your way in.
(reason being for this is that if there are a lot of targets under the coil, ie a coin spill or a coin amongst an aluminum can bomb *slaw*, this can fool the detector into reading bouncy signals and in pinpoint actually move the point to an area in the middle of such targets because the average signal is around the edges of the coil... kinda makes a hot spot.)

Pay attention to possible utilities and any erratic signals from your machine. Sometimes it helps to reduce your sensitivity to get around this kind of problem.

Keep an eye on depth displayed. If the target is in the high range and the detector says its at 3 inches and you dig 4 inches with no target its probably something really big and deep.... ie utilities or large iron junk... and probably not something you want to spend time on. *unless the treasure map says so ;)*

Pin pointers are a nice tool, I don't use one myself, but if you pull a plug and the targets just not there well *shrug* pinpointer aint gonna do no good.

My thoughts. Luck to ya :)

OP
OP
B

Bluedogcards

Jan 12, 2013
El Reno Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the comments, always good to learn, i am getting some of the bugs worked out,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread