Garrett 400 LED readout problem. Solutiion or Send it to Garrett?

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks, I got the Ace 400 in April of 2016. It's been a great machine and I have upgraded it with a Cors Cannon coil and the Z-Lynk wireless system. I never leave it in my car after hunting and always use the splash guard. Last time I hunted, it was a little drizzly, but I have hunted in drizzle before no problems and there were no problems this time. After a couple of weeks, I pulled it out to go hunting and to my horror, the bottom half of the display was having an issue. The bottom half of the VDI numbers were missing, the first two bars on the battery level were missing, and some of the sensitivity bars were missing. The detector otherwise worked fine and I found a number of coins and a couple of relics, but that display is odd. I love my 400, but even after doing a factory reset, unplugging the coil and Z-lynk connector, nothing seemed to work. The LED comes on fine for a few seconds and then parts of the bottom have just slowly fade out. I have attached photos of when it first turns on and then when it fades I hate to be without it during prime hunting season here, but if there is no easy fix, then its off to Garrett since its still under warranty. Thanks for any suggestions!

OP
OP
A

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, forgot to hit the upload button

Attachments

• 20171107_101547.jpg
    20171107_101547.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20171107_101502.jpg
    20171107_101502.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 61

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your still under warranty admission says it all. Send it back to Garrett and they should be able to fix it at no charge. If it still works for you, you could probably get away with using it until the weather no longer permits. However when i had to send my AT Pro back for warranty repair it took a total of 10 days from the time i sent it in to the time it was back in my hands. Good luck.

OP
OP
A

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Doc! I still have my Ace 350 that still works (I think, better pull it out and look, I guess), so I won't be without a machine and I can put the Z-lynk and Cors Cannon on there, its just not as great a machine (though I did find my first cob with it). I just didn't want to go to the trouble if this was a known problem that had a quck remedy. I am going to use it this weekend and then ship it off. Even with the weird display issue, it's still finding me good stuff.

OP
OP
A

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to let folks know I tried it out after letting it sit at room temperature for a few days and no change, so got hold of Garrett and got my RMA number, so it's off to Garrett either tomorrow or first of next week. Will report results when I have them. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
A

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my baby back yesterday. They spiffed up the LED plate and she works just fine. They got it last Wednesday and had it back in the mail to me on Thursday and it arrived Monday. Now, is that great customer service or what? I assume it was a part failure since nobody contacted me with any questions. Snow is forecasted for this weekend, sadly, but I hope to get her back in the field asap. Thanks, Garrett!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Just wanted to let folks know I tried it out after letting it sit at room temperature for a few days and no change, so got hold of Garrett and got my RMA number, so it's off to Garrett either tomorrow or first of next week. Will report results when I have them. Thanks for the input.

Don't let a little snow prevent you from detecting. :)

DSC_0432.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread