South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett ACE 250 vs. White's Coinmaster Pro

I'm looking to upgrade to a new detector, and I have heard good things about both. I just need to know which one would be better suited for me. I hunt mainly in fields and woods, and my main target is coins. I also enjoy beach hunting occasionally when I'm near. I did have my mind set on the White's, but some people swear by Garrett. Just thought I'd get some opinions.
Thanks

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not familiar with the whites but as far as field hunting goes the Garrett is a coin finder and will do the job. As far as using it on beaches though (if we are talking about salt water) I would stay in the dry sand as the wet sand will cause the unit to run erratically. I suggest you spend a few more bucks and buy the Garret AT PRO for complete all around hunting. It has excellent depth(which is great for fields) and can be ground balanced(which solves the salt water problem). Hope this helps a little. Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd love the Garrett AT Pro, but at 16 I don't have that much money to spend. My money is spread out pretty thin between all my hobbies. I only go in the dry sand anyway, so it would work. After doing some research, I'm leaning towards the 250 now. Especially because of the price difference.

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not positive on this but I'm guessing the 250 is considerably cheaper than the whites? If so, use that extra money and get yourself a good pin pointer.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own a Coinmaster Pro. I've used an Ace 250 enough to give feedback on it.
Both about the same performance with the Whites having a small advantage IMO. The CMP sounds better than the 250's bell tones.
One disadvantage to the Whites is that there is not a large (9+") dd coil available and I like my dd coils. The stock 9" Spider coil does work pretty well and the small 4x6dd coils is crazy good in trashy areas.
Neither one is overly stable and both false about the same.
The Whites uses 2 9v & the Garrett uses 4 AA's. I've seen 40+ hrs on the Coinmaster Pro on 1 set of batteries on mine. I'm guessing the 250 runs about the same on their batteries.
I don't think one is better than the other. They're just different. Pick one!

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they are about the same, I'm going to lean towards the 250, and then buy a pro pointer. I've read some good things about Fisher's F2 also. Can anyone throw in anything about it?

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ace 250 works very well....dont know about the other one though but I have used other garrets though and it kept up with the best " for coins" gold and other..NOPE but coins an ACE kicks but....I have money to buy better and I still have no reason to...I hunt with a few that has 1200$ machines and we get coins from the same depth..they sorta get pissy about that also...LOL

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i just can't stand to be around the ace's sound. do your friends a favor and wear headphones

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only ever actually ever detected with other people twice. There's just not that many people around me that MD. That seems to be the only complaint for the machine at least. I think that is what I'm going to go with. Just have to wait until April to get the money.
Coins are what I'm mainly after. That's actually what got me into this hobby, the hope of finding coins for my collection. Just hasn't worked too well for me yet.

hondapartshero

Jan 9, 2013
Been using my 250 for two months and love it. I'll agree the "ding" is a bit noisy but I picked up some cheap headphones with adjustable volume and its actually not that bad. I'd look around for gently used as I picked mine up on Craig's list for $150. My biggest advice is 1) buy a good pin pointer, I bought a Garrett propointer two weeks after starting and it's priceless 2)Use the detector a lot and learn the tones, blips, dings and you'll make it that much easier to choose what to dig (I still dig all pull tabs in hope for gold) 3)if you go with a model with a pin point function learn that as well to reduce your digging time. I'm already saving for the AT Pro as I want to have something I can go water detecting with but the 250 is a great first detector and you won't be disappointed.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3)if you go with a model with a pin point function learn that as well to reduce your digging time.

Both of these models (Ace 250 & Coinmaster Pro) have pinpoint functions. To me the Whites pp is much more user friendly. Push on,push off. The Garrett has a push and hold. Can be quite annoying if one wants to hunt in an all metal mode for an extended period. C'mon, push and hold! Really?

Last edited:

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently bought a 250 and not a big fan of the bell tone, otherwise I've been finding plenty of coins and a ring so far. I'm just glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like the tone, thought it was just me.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I owned a 250 and own a Coinmaster, though not the pro. I'll be honest I hated the 250, and I gave it one honest effort.

*Weight wise they are roughly the same.
*Battery life I get about 25% better battery life from the Coinmaster. Toss the batteries included with the Coinmaster in the trash...they are junk...I got less than a week out of them.
*The 250 has 12 segments and the Coinmaster 8 segments. Despite that the Coinmaster doesn't bounce around as much on targets that don't fit the segments. Same for the tones. It was annoying when the 250 would bounce from tone to tone, usually at a rapid rate.
*Depth--Coinmaster wins. Though the 250's depth is okay.
*Pinpointing--Because of the coil design I found it easier with the 250 to pinpoint off the tip. This has a bit of a learning curve, but isn't that difficult after a dozen or so targets. The Coinmaster doesn't pinpoint as tight as my Tesoro, but I don't think any other machine does. Also, and this holds true for every White's I've ever owned, it pinpoints a bit off center.
*The arm cup on the Coinmaster is not as strong as it should be. Especially, if like me, you like to use the coil to move aside wood chips or sand. White's replaced mine for free when I managed to break the arm cup. End result I don't move wood chips with my Coinmaster anymore. LOL.
*As someone else mentioned, you can lock in all-metal mode with the Coinmaster. For those times when you need to operate in all-metal mode the 250 just doesn't cut it. That means even for a few minutes. I often switch to all metal mode when searching dirt for a target and being able to lock that in saves a ton of time.
*Using the depth indicator, I find it easier to pinpoint with the White's.
*The 250 has a wide horizontal signal field. So you can't get as close to metal poles with it. The difference is several inches...which means lost targets.
*I prefer the location of the White's Headphone Jack. With the 250 it's best to have a right-angle connector on your headphones.

In terms of actual field use the Coinmaster wins. Good luck with whatever machine you pick. (Pick the Coinmaster. :thumbsup:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread