jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fairly new to the hobby of metal detecting (about a year detecting so far) and I've recently upgraded from a Harbor Freight detector to a Garrett Ace 350. I've had fun using this new machine and I've found a few coins (clad) and had my first EVER interesting finds last week with a 5 cent trade token and most recently a boy scout shoe token . However, I feel like I'm not using the detect properly or something as I'm hardly finding anything worth mentioning, not even very much clad (only about 15 cents in pennies). I usually hunt local parks and ball fields and I'm starting to think the case may be that they are simply hunted out.

I'm just curious if there is something I'm doing wrong or is it the detector? I have been hunting in "coin mode" since the day I bought the Ace 350 and it seems like I'm digging a lot more trash (I know trash is to be expected, but I didn't know this much) than I did with the cheap Harbor Freight detector. It could just be me expecting too much too quickly.

It also seems like I lose a lot of signals when the detector picks them up. When I get a signal, it will suddenly be gone before I even attempt to dig a plug.

Any tips you could give on how to better operate this detector would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread