Garrett Ace 350 Problems

TxKman

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2014
Victoria, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently purchased my first metal detector, Garrett Ace 350. Was excited to get it in and get started. Read the manual, watched the DVD and put it together, but wouldn't you know it - NO Luck. It was bouncing all over the place. Read thru this forum and others and found there might be a problem with the coil. Called Garret and was told that was most likely the problem. Replacement received and installed and NO CHANGE.

I have to say I am very frustrated so you might have to read thru my attitude some. ha

Neither resetting the unit or replacing the batteries have changed anything.

I live in South Texas in the county. There is NOTHING around, so no interference to be had.

Any help you can give will be appreciated, as Garrett is closed for the weekend and it is driving me BATTY...

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just sent in my at pro for the same issue. If you put the sensitivity down to 1 bar does it stop going crazy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TxKman

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2014
Victoria, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sent in my at pro for the same issue. If you put the sensitivity down to 1 bar does it stop going crazy?

No, It does not change if I reduce the sensitivity. If fact, it does the same thing no matter what.

Having said that, It does seem to work well in the PinPoint mode. Strange.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The biggest time mine bounces around machine gun like and won,t stop regardless of where coil is held is near powerlines/sources. On rare occasion it does it,( not sure if I,m missing the cause,) and doing a reset stops it.(hold power button in till it double beeps.)
Coil wire wrap a possibility.From where it leaves coil it goes farthest to off side of shaft it to begin reasonably secure wraps. Some users go up shaft a ways, a foot perhaps before wrapping.
Wrapping starting on side of where shaft cable exits coil or a loose area of cable at base,or loose coil can all cause falsing. Also check or reattach the connector of cable to control box again no floppy cable at end.. If none of those apply I,d be calling Garrett again. I own a couple 350,s and am pretty content with them. If your problem stops try old suspected bad coil again for giggles, though erratic behavior often a bad coil. If your still stuck see about a replacement detector from Garrett if they have no other solution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TxKman

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2014
Victoria, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried rewarping the cable several different ways, even zip tying it up straight on top for about a foot or so then wraping. No change.

Have reset numerous times with no change.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep ,Garrett time. There is a tiny screw on the connector at top of coil cable where connector goes to box. On the silver part of cable top behind knurled nut.If loose, snug but don,t break it! or if its missing it can cause falsing. The other suspects include calibration ect. that would be on Garretts end. Bummer. I,d be wanting a free hat as well as replacement or repair,l.o.l..

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TxKman

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2014
Victoria, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, guess I will have to wait until next week. Bad thing is that I was in Dallas 20mins from their office all last week. Should have just taken it back thru the front door. LOL

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TxKman

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2014
Victoria, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW... I can not believe it. I never would have thought that my dog fence would affect the detector from that far away.

Turned it off and it cleared right up. THANKS A TON Sandman. That sure help lower my blood pressure...LOL

Now to get to hunting.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 / F75 LTD2/ AT MAX/ Multi Kruzer/ Nox 800

Have used many detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Pasadena Tx which is connected to Houston and got an Ace 350 for Christmas. It's been great to me. It's a blast to use and easy on the arm. I want to buy another detector so I can bring a buddy. I want a different kind though so I can have more options. I want one with a backlight on the screen.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Txkman, your welcome. Many times this falsing is just EMI and not coils or cable trouble. But some detectors are just too affected by EMI and lack of shielding in the coil to cut costs. Then when sent in the detector is "dumbed down" inside.:BangHead:

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW... I can not believe it. I never would have thought that my dog fence would affect the detector from that far away.

Turned it off and it cleared right up. THANKS A TON Sandman. That sure help lower my blood pressure...LOL

Now to get to hunting.

Or chasing the Dog.

This is good information to know!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions