Garrett ADS $800

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
I was at a gun show on Sunday and noticed a metal detector on one of the tables. It was a Garrett ADS, immaculate, extra coils and case. It was priced at $800! I can only guess that the seller assumed the show attendees were ignorant of metal detectors and would not realize that $800 would be best spent on a current model.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, he figured right. Lots of people there with lots of money.
I would have stopped and asked him about it, and why so much, ect just to see what he came up with.
Probably some thing along the lines of you will need a $1200 dollar shotgun to protect all your treasure you will find with this $800 dollar detector.

Targetseeker

Greenie
Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, sorry to slip a little from this post, was reading a posting you made from May 2011 and after I replied, realized you might not be checking on such an old post- so my question concerns MD selection for beach hunting as follows: Hi Dan. Not sure how the pricing works for the AT Pro - clearly looks like it is "fixed" yet Kellyco is able to offer some extras. AAFES the military exchange price is $559 free shipping, no sales tax. Also don't understand why Garrett doesn't offer a pkg with waterproof headset for ~ $30-35 more (roughly list price difference between land and water sets.)
I have seen combo offers that include the Lesche(sp) digging knife and sampson shovel, another that adds the knife and long handled scoop, etc. I like the padded bag in your option #2, don't know how reliable the pinpointed is however (some reviewers really don't like it). A pm could be sent to [email protected] so as to not clog up these threads. The AT Pro sells for around $595, I have seen an "overstocked...(that is what they told me) Infinium for $830. As a newbie, the pro offers ease of use and discrimination, although may have trouble in salt water; the Infini has the power of pulse but finds everything thrown on the beach - every bobby pin etc. I do not want to under equip myself, nor do I want to over frustrate myself where I just give up. Clearly you know these detectors. 99% of my hunting will be at salt water beaches (no diving is planned). The Infini price seems "too good to be true since the list is just outside my price point. REALLY would appreciate your help trying to select my 1st MD. Never ceases to amase me how MANY MDs some members own. Thanks Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread