blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was bored and I decided to test the at pro depth. I have owned it for about a month and have probably 20hrs on it.

Well I buried a dime and a penny at 8in and it barely picks it up. But when I bury a quarter at the same it doesn't pick it up that's strange to me.

Settings

Pro zero 35, iron disc.

Sensitivity 1 below max

Stock coil

Auto ground balance and tried the subtract 5-10 ground balance trick and really didn't help.

My ground balance came in at 89-90 I don't know if that is bad.

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I originally posted it in the metal detecting forums. But I wanted to move it to the brands forum. Sorry still kind of new here.
You know that at times you have to post in more than one place to get any answers .. I do at times..

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know that at times you have to post in more than one place to get any answers .. I do at times..

That's what I was thinking. I am glad someone understands and doesn't reply with a smart comment about double posting.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The important thing to remember is that air tests and freshly buried coins tests are almost pointless, and the results of these tests are not indicative of any given tecter's true abilities in the field, especially on nice deeper old ripe goodies. Why is this? It don't really matter too much I reckon.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The important thing to remember is that air tests and freshly buried coins tests are almost pointless, and the results of these tests are not indicative of any given tecter's true abilities in the field, especially on nice deeper old ripe goodies. Why is this? It don't really matter too much I reckon.

Exactly

If you can even pick up a freshly buried 8inch dime, consider yourself lucky.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should try to go to more remote locations and see if it chatters at full sensitivity there, the chatter is most likely EMF interference which can screw up the detectors ability in more ways than one. If it chatters EVERYWHERE something is wrong, the coil might be shot, maybe even the brain. At one point my ATP started finding small iron EVERYWHERE, even in the air, called garret and they mailed me a new coil. Bottom line is, it is not supposed to chatter like that, might be the reason you are not finding anything below 4 inches.
Most detectors cant be run at full sensitivity without falsing. There is more than likely something wrong with a detector that can run at full sensitivity. How would you know your getting full power out of it if it was never sensitive enough to false? There is nothing wrong with his detector. He can run it one bar below full sens with no problem. Hes testing in high mineralized ground.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it seems to chatter when the sensitivity is up the full way. But once knocked down one bar it seems fine.
One bar below full sens is great.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air test a dime, penny and quarter and let us know how it does.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You posted this same thing on the Garrett page. Not supposed to double post. What, you don't like the answer?
Who told you that you are not supposed to double post.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks I know no one ever said about double posting. Also what a rude comment "what you do like the answer" ~ signal line. No one ever spoke in a rude tone to you.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You posted this same thing on the Garrett page. Not supposed to double post. What, you don't like the answer?

it's not against the rules to double post.

posting several identical posts, across treasurenet, may
be a waste of space and time, but posting in 2 different spots is not
against our rules.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think older items tend to emit a halo around them much like iron does. I was detecting in the creek saturday it was maxing out everything at 10 + inches in zero mode. I wanted iron targets to id the age and I really was digging down that deep getting piece of barbed wire and square nails. I was in the water. On land the lead was saying deeper than it was but noticed my battery bar starting to dip. I always like fresh batteries when in a possible great area. The longer the item is in the soil the better it is at conducting a signal. I was digging fired 22' which are small at max depth.
How long have you been detecting?

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for 3 years now. My ground balance comes in at 84-92 in most locations here in pa.

Does this mean that my soil is highly mineralized

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting for 3 years now. My ground balance comes in at 84-92 in most locations here in pa. Does this mean that my soil is highly mineralized

I don't think so. That is the range I get st the beach and also on the parks here in CA.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think so. That is the range I get st the beach and also on the parks here in CA.

I don't know. I posted them numbers before and everyone said it's very mineralized soil.

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an interesting discussion about the GB settings and depth of the AT Pro. I live in Australia and 99% salt water beach hunt. To my way way of thinking, that it pretty strong mineralisation, however, most clean dry beaches, my auto GB is around mid 80's, as I get closer to water it drops and gets down to 14, isn't salt a mineral? So IMHO, just get the best GB you can,try a couple of different frequencies and have the sens as high as possible without too much chatter, also, run your coil lead straight for a bout 6 -8 before coiling around the shaft.

As far as depth goes, you have other MD's according to your list, compare them back to back and see what you get, my AT Pro on the beach has found coins at ridiculous depths, 12 plus inches but also at 2 inches, so much depends on the angle, outside interference, soil type, conductivity of coin, even coil speed so I guess what I'm saying is it's almost impossible to claim a fixed max depth.

If I only want coins, my old Bounty Hunter Tracker IV kicks ass, if i want jewellery as well and other very small items, the AT Pro has it.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So just wanted to make sure that 87-92 is highly mineralized soil. And I should not expect to see coins past what 7, 8in in depht

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The conductivity of the particular coin is the key, more conductivity, more depth, less conductivity, less depth

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High mineralization or not, call or email Garrett and ask them about the chatter and lack of depth. See what they say, more than likely you will end up sending it back in.

When I run max sensitivity it doesn't false it chatters and the vdi number go all over. When I back it down one from max its fine

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So just wanted to make sure that 87-92 is highly mineralized soil. And I should not expect to see coins past what 7, 8in in depht
Who told you this?....we have mild soil and my GB is almost always the same 90 or 92 and thats not whats stopping the at pro from reaching above and beyond the 8 inch mark ...it simply just wasnt made for deep targets like other FBS machines...the at pro was never marketed as such ...id be more worried about the lack of discrimination and the annoying high tones on everything in the local park

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions