Garrett AT Pro for Relic / Small Cache Hunting?

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I am headed to Europe in the near future. Will be moving around quite a bit while there. I have owned Garrett, Compass, Fisher, Whites in the past (higher end models). Looking for a quality mid-range unit now.

Please give opinions / feed back on field experience with the Garrett AT Pro for general purpose use - relic hunting (expect to visit a lot of skirmish/battle sites) and small cache hunting.

Any feedback will be deeply appreciated. Thank you!

Star

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Hi Everyone,

I am headed to Europe in the near future. Will be moving around quite a bit while there. I have owned Garrett, Compass, Fisher, Whites in the past (higher end models). Looking for a quality mid-range unit now.

Please give opinions / feed back on field experience with the Garrett AT Pro for general purpose use - relic hunting (expect to visit a lot of skirmish/battle sites) and small cache hunting.

Any feedback will be deeply appreciated. Thank you!

Star
Check out the first 3 UK/Europe hunt videos to get a feel of what the Garrett Detectors found.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrDAu6JPiwwVjpRY9W4Y5_A

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also keep in mind that it rains a lot there, so a waterproof detector would be handy, plus it opens up more hunting sites like creeks and river crossings.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Relic hunting? Maybe the AT Gold. It has a threshold based AM mode. The AT Pro doesn't. And the Gold comes with a 5X8 coil instead of the 11", which may not be best for relics. In the US, most relics can be picked up with disc. A few centuries old. Across the pond, we are talking about multi millennia. Some good and deep. I'd be using AM that has TID.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Hi Phantasam,

Thanks for the reply. Your recommendation of the AT Gold over the Pro is intriguing. I do not understand the technical points you brought up that point to the Gold over the Pro in a European environment. I'm thinking that I'll hit a lot of relics and coins, but I don't want to miss a cache that may be deeper, or something in a stream/pond. Could you clarify for me? Thanks.

Star

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smaller 5x8 coil on the AT Pro is doing well here. Im sure the stock coil will do fine over there. I believe the iron discrimination is the key to any detectors success. I did not buy the AT Pro for depth as 10 inches is the honey zone anyway. If I need more depth I have a beast I can use. Deep Digger Dan had some videos on hunting over there with the AT Pro, in the end he was not happy with the AT Pro. But he did do really well with it. Water hunts will be cold, dont suggest you try them lol. Permissions over there is also different. Might want to try a club for info.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Star, the Gold has a higher freq and the small coil is better for relic hunts. I also believe he was saying the threshold on all metal mode is better. The higher freq makes the AT Gold a little more sensitive.

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used at pro in Europe. It has worked great. Found old coins and relics. Even hammered silver and roman coins. The stock coil worked great for me. I was mostly hunting farm fields so bigger coil covered more ground. I use 5x8 is the U.S. as most sites are loaded with trash. Field hunts in Europe have iron but seldom masks good targets. I have gone 30 min without a target to 3 coins only feet apart. I have no experience with at gold but am happy with at pro in Europe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread