Garrett at pro vs Excalibur, Tiger shark for shallow fresh water hunting

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
for shallow FRESH water hunting

which is better ? does garrett even come close to these two machines ? Im especially interested in small gold objects (not nuggets), how deep/reliable is the at pro for these targets ? A friend of mine says that "nothing" compares to his tiger shark and laughs at the idea of anything that has garrett on it

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has your friend tried the new Garrett?? Its a WHOLE new machine, not like past Garrett's. Tell him to come read some of the reviews.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My lakes are still covered in ice so I haven't use the AT Pro there yet. But I do know the Tiger Shark can find earring backs and studs like they do quarters. Course finding all this small stuff isn't all good. There is a lot of bird shot out there.

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a detector out there for everyone. I think your friend has his. But take it from a recent At Pro owner who had to see what all the talk was about. The At Pro is a very serious detector for a very good price. I caution the laughter. Very many serious people in the hobby now own an At Pro and wait until the finds start really tallying up. Are there better detectors out there? Probably. I would say it depends on who is holding them. But make no mistake about one thing. The AT Pro has changed what we as buyers will pay for a detector. If a manufacturer wants to charge 1500.00 for a detector they better have a reason to do so. The table has tipped in my favor as far as pricing and for that I thank Garrett very much. I am laughing too. Because I'm happy I own one.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
goodmore said:
There is a detector out there for everyone. I think your friend has his. But take it from a recent At Pro owner who had to see what all the talk was about. The At Pro is a very serious detector for a very good price. I caution the laughter. Very many serious people in the hobby now own an At Pro and wait until the finds start really tallying up. Are there better detectors out there? Probably. I would say it depends on who is holding them. But make no mistake about one thing. The AT Pro has changed what we as buyers will pay for a detector. If a manufacturer wants to charge 1500.00 for a detector they better have a reason to do so. The table has tipped in my favor as far as pricing and for that I thank Garrett very much. I am laughing too. Because I'm happy I own one.
You got that right i got a AT Pro also ...For what it has in it for the price no other detector out there comes close to it.......... But there are a lot of Garrett haters out there ...Why I don't know..There are some great finds made with Garrett detectors.......

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some detectors are way over priced, Garrett proved that with the ACE 250 and the AT pro. Some people want the most expensive, whether it"s worth it or not.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
In fresh water, no detector is reliable for small gold stuff. In salt water, no detector is reliable for small gold stuff. If you want small gold stuff dig every stinking target you get on your machine. Get a PI to really get things going. Not only will you be tired, you will have gotten ever bit of small gold your coil went over. How deep you going to be diving? If you are ten feet or less, you are all over the pro.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Acquisitor said:
for shallow FRESH water hunting

which is better ? does garrett even come close to these two machines ? Im especially interested in small gold objects (not nuggets), how deep/reliable is the at pro for these targets ? A friend of mine says that "nothing" compares to his tiger shark and laughs at the idea of anything that has garrett on it

Acquisitor, you know me I'm a bit of a rabble rouser. You should be asking "does the excal or the shark even come remotely close to the pro?" But then of course you yourself would have in fact became a true rabble rouser. You see??

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
lookindown said:
Some detectors are way over priced, Garrett proved that with the ACE 250 and the AT pro. Some people want the most expensive, whether it"s worth it or not.
Now what you said here is the truth i think it is ego just so they can say ...Oh wow man i paid $1500.00 for my detector .... I might just go out and find one more dime than you do.... Yes Garrett is doing the right thing with the good detectors and the right price ... Chuck is not over chargeing us for good detectors....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread