Garrett AT Pro vs Whites M6 ... Question from a newbie .....

Martin R

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to the group from a newbie . I've searched your forums trying to answer my own question first before posting to the group . I really didn't find the answers I was looking for so maybe someone would care to help .
The topic is Garrett AT Pro vs Whites M6 . I own both machines but looking to maybe sell the M6 to purchase another AT Pro . You see , I first purchased the M6 after doing some research on the machine . I was looking for a easy to use well know machine made in the USA . I've had a Whites Surf Pulse machine in the past and knew they were a very well made good machine . Knowing that my wife wanted her own machine I wanted it to be a user friendly machine so we started with the M6.
Only owned the M6 for about two weeks when I found it's downside ( for me anyways ) , it's not made to be taken out in the rain or in the water ( other than the coil ). Didn't think about that when I purchased it . So I went on the hunt for a water machine .
Then I ran across the Garrett AT Pro . After using the AT Pro I found that I liked using it more than the M6 . I like the features like notching and the different pre programmed push button settings over the M6's two twist knobs and no notching . Plus I can take the AT Pro into the water , nice !
So here's the thing , I'm thinking of selling the M6 so as to purchase another AT Pro for my wife . Then we both would have the same machines with the same capabilities for notching and for the water . But I don't want to sell the Whites if it's actually a better machine over the AT Pro . It may be that the M6 works much much better at coin shooting or has better depth . I really don't know which machine is better than the other so if anyone would care to offer up what they know I sure would be thankful .
Martin R

Upvote 0

badrock

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Martin R.
From the people I have spoke to and research I have done on my own, here is what I have discovered:
Whites M6 is great for prospecting. Although it needs to keep dry, a cover tends to protect the screen from moisture.

Garrett's AT PRO is a great, all-weather, waterproof machine. I own one. I went with the AT PRO, after looking hard at the
M6, but decided upon the AT PRO, because I had the option to use it under water, to 10 feet. This and the machine's ability to function optimally in the highly mineralized, California sand and soil. The real, major factor was its ability to take a soaking free from harm to its circuitry.
I hope you made the minimal investment of a coil cover for each coil you have purchased. Take care of your machines. If you do decide to sell one of them, you'll at least protect your investment.
My advice, keep both of them. This way, you'll have a spare detonator, and also the means of alluring a friend to join you on your next adventure. Happy treasure hunting. Badrock :-)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like you were answering your own question there Sparky :tongue3: What Gleaner neglected to mention is the advise I'll give you :icon_thumright: Flip a coin in the air and just call the detector for heads, whatever it lands on you buy, or stick with :laughing7:

OP
OP
M

Martin R

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question was very simple .... ( Why did I bother sighing up for another forum ? ) It's always the same ......... Witty remarks instead of educated answers .......

OP
OP
M

Martin R

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Badrock ... It's my intent to have two machines that's why I'm thinking of selling the M6 , to replace it with another AT Pro . But I didn't want to make a big mistake and sell the M6 if it turns out that it's the better of the two . Hence the reason for the question to the forum .
I was already thinking of letting the M6 go for another AT Pro , most likely that's what I'll do .
But thank you for your good advise .. Others so far are just having fun with my question . That's the kind of welcome you get sometimes from forums ..

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, well, well, getting a bit testy are we :laughing7: Apparently you need strangers to make your decisions, hence your post :laughing7:

It seems that you did some of your homework and are torn between perhaps 2 machines. When it comes to making a choice sometimes a coin flip isn't a bad thing Einstein.

Well, all you have to do is wait for others to name several other machines that will keep you guessing for months. Maybe you should get a minelab CTX 3030 Standard at $25000, or perhaps a Hybrid Cobra Beach Metal Detector at $1000, I can name others if you like.
[h=2][/h]

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would plant a test garden...different coins at different depths and see which one does the best. Also which machine handles trashy areas the best would be a big plus for me. Good Luck!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask Bart at bigboys hobbies, he is a straight shooter

OP
OP
M

Martin R

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Normsel , I actually purchased my At Pro from Bart along with a bunch of other goodies . I'll run the question by him too .
Thanks

OP
OP
M

Martin R

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good idea ! I'll do that ...

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's best for someone like you just to view various videos on youtube, then you can see all the comparisons you want. :tongue3: Not that they may actually help you because of the ground conditions, so you best study up on that too. :icon_thumright: You also say you're taking the detector into water, but fail to mention how deep you will go. :dontknow: Take your AT Pro 12 feet down you make just be holding scrap when you get back to shore.

You may have noticed that Sandman did however give me a thumbs up on my first reply. Perhaps if you are nice to him and ask him in a PM, he may be best to help you. He is an avid water hunter :laughing7:

Personally, I'd get her an Ace 250 and stay out of the rain :laughing9:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Martin you should lighten up on attacking another member of the forum. You asked for advice and it was given. You didn't take advice and PM me. Both the M6 and the ATP are about equal in performance. There is the advantage of taking the ATP out in the water or out in the rain, but most hunters come in outta the rain. Having two detectors that operate the same cuts down the leering curve, but not all detectors of even the same make and model are equal in performance. Personally I think the AT Pro is not up to par with other water detectors or even the M6. The screen is not actuate in id'ing targets so if you go by the screen you are going to miss lots of stuff. Of a bigger concern is the headphone connector on the ATP. You must use the cheap Garrett land headphones or the waterproof ones or buy an adapter for using the higher quality headphones and that adapter is subject to water leaks. No adapter needed on the White's M6 and you can use what ever phones you want.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boys lighten up. This is supposed to be a friendly forum to help one another and enjoy the hobby. When you read a post take a minute to think about what you read and how the other person really intended what was said. Then count to 10 before you answer. We all have different perspectives and what we say is not always interpreted the way we intended.

I think both detectors mentioned are good machines. My preference would be the AT Pro - the water proofing gives it that all weather capability and some added security when you are detecting in remote areas a fair hike from your vehicle sudden rain showers pop up. There is also the benefit of having two machines a like - you only have to learn the idiosyncrasies of one type of machine. Having two machines alike also makes early detection of a malfuntioning machine easier.

I believe what some of the other posters were trying to say is - A lot is dependent upon personal preferences.

If you are looking for a vote or general consensus - that will be much harder to come by as everyone has their own preferences. The AT Pro is mine and seems to have a large following.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Webwatch, you see what is not understood by the original poster is personal preferences. Webwatch, you opt for the AT Pro, whereas Sandman opts for the M-6.. Let's say 20 other people weigh in and it's still a 50/50, what do you do :icon_scratch: I'll even take it one step further, let's say the original poster prefers the AT-Pro and everyone tells him to stay with the M-6. Do you put your other opinions higher than your own :laughing7:

If he thought my post was a joke, it's not.. It boils down to simple math. When torn between 2 choices, sometimes a coin toss is your best option :icon_thumright: Another way to look at is that maybe 50% of the opinions are right and the other %50 are wrong. Your odds in flipping a coin are to your benefit. :tongue3:

I was kind enough to give him a solid lead in contacting Sandman, I have followed many of his posts over the years, but silently :laughing7: There are only a few on here whose opinion I would trust and thankfully Sandman is on of them and most helpful.

So the lesson is.. Don't bite the hand that feeds you :laughing9:

Just like with any metal detector, you need a learning curve to get me :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Martin R

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Sandman . But I must first say that I came to this forum for advise and the very first response I received was an attack on me . If someone attacks me they will receive much more than the bargained for either on a forum or face to face . Lighten up is not in my creed . Sorry about not doing a " PM " ... I don't know what that means .
I thank you for your advise on the topic of metal detectors . And I totally agree with you on the quality of the AT Pro over (or under) other water machines . At this stage of the game we're just scratching the surface on metal detecting and the direction we want to go . If we decide to move to Florida full time then a much better water machine would be in our future . But if we stay in New York then most of our hunting will be on dry land . We are new to this hobby and learning by our mistakes . The AT Pro may not be the best but it will work in many more conditions than the M6 . But after doing some testing of both machines the last few days I've decided that the M6 does a better job in depth than the ATP by as much as four inches . That's enough in my book to warrant keeping the M6 ..
Thank you to everyone who has offered their help on this topic .

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
I think you did get some crappy advice.....no way to help a new guy!...hope you get it figured all out......what ever you do have FUN.....see yah!!!!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I absolutely LOVED my AT-Pro. That machine was incredible for the price. The fact that I could take it in water was great. I found a lot of deep coins, small gold, and silver with that machine. I have never personally used the M6, but I have seen it in action. It is a coin magnet. I swear, the M-6 makes silver dig itself out of the ground. Granted, the person I hunt with who uses an M6 knows his machine extremely well and is an accomplished detectorist. I am only now starting to keep up with him when we hunt together and I am using a XP Deus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread