Greenie
May 2, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

Wanted to get some ideas on batteries that others are using for their AT Pro. I think the manual recommends alkaline batteries, but I'm pretty sure you can get away with rechargeables. Either way I highly recommend looking over the manual first. The below setup is what has worked well for me. I've been using this combo for several months with no issues.

For my AT Pro I use the following Eneloop 2000 mAh AA's. I have tried several recharagble brands in both my detector, cameras, etc. and find these batteries do an outstanding job! I can hunt for four hours with just a notch gone on the battery bar of my detector. I have several sets of these batteries, so I switch them out and recharge them after every hunt. (I'm using headphones as I hear it takes more battery not having them). Anyway love not having to constantly buy batteries.

If I have this in the wrong forum, or it's just a repeat, let me know or feel free to move it.
Thanks
- Ryan

Amazon.com: eneloop NEW 2000mAh Typical, 1900mAh Minimum, 1500 cycle, 8 Pack AA, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics

I use this La Crosse Charger for my AA batteries
Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger: Electronics

Tenergy Centura 9V 200mAh Low Self-Discharge NiMH Rechargeable Batteries
Amazon.com: Tenergy Centura 9V 200mAh Low Self-Discharge NiMH Rechargeable Batteries -2pcs card: Electronics

I use the Tenergy Low Discharge 9volts for my Garrett Pro pin pointer. They work awesome and after a few times out (2ish hours each time) I just throw the battery on the charger Amazon.com: TN141 2-Bay 9V Smart Battery Charger for NiMH Batteries: Electronics

Last edited:

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Wanted to get some ideas on batteries that others are using for their AT Pro. I think the manual recommends alkaline batteries, but I'm pretty sure you can get away with rechargeables. Either way I highly recommend looking over the manual first. The below setup is what has worked well for me. I've been using this combo for several months with no issues.

For my AT Pro I use the following Eneloop 2000 mAh AA's. I have tried several recharagble brands in both my detector, cameras, etc. and find these batteries do an outstanding job! I can hunt for four hours with just a notch gone on the battery bar of my detector. I have several sets of these batteries, so I switch them out and recharge them after every hunt. (I'm using headphones as I hear it takes more battery not having them). Anyway love not having to constantly buy batteries.

If I have this in the wrong forum, or it's just a repeat, let me know or feel free to move it.
Thanks
- Ryan

Amazon.com: eneloop NEW 2000mAh Typical, 1900mAh Minimum, 1500 cycle, 8 Pack AA, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics

I use this La Crosse Charger for my AA batteries
Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger: Electronics

Tenergy Centura 9V 200mAh Low Self-Discharge NiMH Rechargeable Batteries
Amazon.com: Tenergy Centura 9V 200mAh Low Self-Discharge NiMH Rechargeable Batteries -2pcs card: Electronics

I use the Tenergy Low Discharge 9volts for my Garrett Pro pin pointer. They work awesome and after a few times out (2ish hours each time) I just throw the battery on the charger Amazon.com: TN141 2-Bay 9V Smart Battery Charger for NiMH Batteries: Electronics

I am sure any high capacity rechargeable AA will be fine. Just keep some spares and make sure they all have the same rating. The Infinium comes with a rechargeable AA pack and a spare battery holder. I use Eveready rechargeable AA in the spare pack and get like 12 hours of working time.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a good and informative post for new users.
I agree with all of the above. The La Cross charger is one of the best at properly charging batteries and keeping them working at peak efficiency. My experience is with the Energizer 2300mAh AA rechargeable battery found at my local dept. store. I'm not saying one is better than the other just that they seem to work the same as others have described the Enloops work. So it is just another option in the rechargeable battery dept.
happy hunting.

Last edited:

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just upgraded from ace259 to atpro....25 min drive home....eff'n stoked to get home n put her together.....STOKED

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started using rechargeables and will say they are more of a hassle than alkalines. They run less voltage so you need to recharge them before they get too low. They don't stay charged when not used for a while. I don't think they work as well as alkalines, less depth. Sorry, not trying to be contrary here. Maybe it's not that much difference, but the voltage is 1.2 vs. 1.5. I noticed when I recharged them the machine was quicker compared to two bars. So at least be sure to run them at full charge.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe someday someone will design a nice lipo set-up for these things, think of the run time we'll have on a lipo.

OP
OP
R

rpl782002

Greenie
May 2, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't claim to know allot about battery technology, but I have a hard time seeing a detector run less depth unless the batteries were really low. Also with the newer low discharge battery tenology these things will drop to 75% compactly over a 3 year period. I never have to recharge them before I go out, after letting them sit. Rechargeables have come a long long way over the past few years.

Def appreciate your advice on the depth though. I'll have to keep my ears open from that standpoint from the 1.2 and 1.5 volts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread