Garrett AT PRO

jbarry

Mar 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking into buying a Garrett AT PRO. I presently have a Minelab E-Trac and It's a great detector but I'm looking for one to use in shallow water. I'm told that they do pretty good in the wet salt water sand. My E-Trac does very well in the salt water but if I drop it in a few inches of salt water it becomes a very expensive paper weight. Would be a bad day indeed. Can I get some advise from AT Pro owners. Positive or negative..Thanx a bunch..Joe B.,:hello:

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of people will tell you that the ATP doesn't do well in salt water. But what they tend not to mention, is that when you're hunting in that sort of environment, you always have to be mindful of your ground balance and sensitivity, and adjust accordingly. That means going beyond what the machine's auto GB will do and manually adjust it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
A lot of people will tell you that the ATP doesn't do well in salt water. But what they tend not to mention, is that when you're hunting in that sort of environment, you always have to be mindful of your ground balance and sensitivity, and adjust accordingly. That means going beyond what the machine's auto GB will do and manually adjust it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good point. Garrett has produced a video about offering tips on using the AT Pro in saltwater.

Garrett Video "AT Pro Saltwater Use Tips "

Last edited:

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a thread o this a few weeks back. I found that if you Ground Balance with the coil in the water it does much better, Then when you go back to the wet sand do it again. During both of these two areas you will have to lower the sensitivity. Once you get into the dry sand it will have to be balanced again, but works much better. Hope this helps.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need a detector for salt water the ATP is not your best choice. Sure you can mess with settings an get tired quickly. For best results a detector operating with more than one frequency is your best choice. Course they cost a little more, but what's your time worth????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions