Garrett ATX Finds Jewelry in Hawaii

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those of you who have followed some of my stuff know I have made trips to Hawaii in the last 20 years, and always I have been trying to find a detector that works well there. The combination of salt water, basalt cobbles and sands, and military grade electrical interference adds up to the toughest detecting conditions I have encountered. Being a prospector at heart it has been obvious to me that ground balancing PI detectors were the answer. Unfortunately, the only real option was the Garrett Infinium. I did do well with the Infinium in Hawaii, but it was very unstable and frankly not very pleasant to use. I yearned for something better and ended up waiting far longer than I thought I would have to. I honestly thought I would see a waterproof White's TDI at some point but it was not to be. Instead, Garrett surprised me with a followup to the Infinium, the new Garrett ATX.

The ATX is being marketed more as a prospecting machine, which kind of overlooks its main strength. It is waterproof to ten feet and built like a tank. I was therefore anxious to get one and get it into the water in Hawaii ASAP and did just that in February. Now, I have to admit to often being disappointed in new detectors these days. Most are just a rehash of something we already have. This is one case where I was actually prepared to be disappointed and just the opposite occurred - the Garrett ATX not only met but exceeded my expectations in Hawaii. Unlike the Infinium, I was able to easily tune it for smooth, clean operation in the worst conditions possible. And despite the competition being vastly increased compared to 20 years ago I was able to pull off my best results ever for a trip to Hawaii, with about 2.5 ounces of gold, silver, and platinum jewelry found.

atx-hawaii-jewelry.jpg

I used the ATX pretty much the entire time with the 8" round mono coil. I was working in the surf and deeper water with mask and snorkel and found the 8" mono easy to handle in the rough conditions. I could use it to literally mow down sand ridges and get down into pockets in the rock and coral bottom. There were lots of big chunks of loose rock, coral, and plenty of debris from the hurricanes years ago still rolling around on the bottom to work around and the 8" was just great for getting between and around that stuff.

After having EMI problems galore in Hawaii I was surprised when the ATX just did its thing and found a frequency that ran clean of interference. That alone was a huge improvement over the Infinium which despite endless tweaking on my part always had issues with EMI. The combination of the gain control, which the Infinium lacks, and the new ability to ground balance into the salt range combined to make tuning out both the salt water AND the basalt cobbles an easy task. I do not claim my settings were the best possible but they worked for me. I set the pulse delay (discrimination on ATX) to 3 and the sensitivity to 7 which eliminated salt water readings. I may have been able to use less disc and more gain but 3 and 7 was working for me. Then I ground balanced on a basalt cobble underwater. And that was it - clean, stable threshold, just like a VLF on land. Any threshold breaks were targets. Best thing was the ATX retains settings and so after a couple days I just did not mess with it. I turned it on, went detecting, turned it off. I used the same basic settings for most of my trip. I suppose I should have experimented more, but frankly, once it seemed to work well I just got down to the business of detecting. I want to go detecting, not spend my time fiddling with settings.

It was great. I like not having to fuss with the detector. I just put in the hours and recovered targets, and with a PI there are plenty of those. I dug my share of junk plus lots of coins and low value jewelry. But at the end of two weeks I was able to say I had easily found more rings in one trip to Hawaii than ever before and so for me the trip was a resounding success, and all due to the Garrett ATX. Well, it and a lot of hours of hard effort in some pretty stiff surf!

The ATX proved very robust with no concern at all on my part about leakage after a couple days. I would pull batteries and charge every couple days and there was never a drop of water in the compartments. I worked the rod and cams at the end of every outing in the water and had no real issue, though the uppermost cam got a bit stiff from sand trapped internally. I disassembled and cleaned it when I got home. The ability to quickly adjust from super short while on my knees in the shallows to extra long when on my tip toes in deep water was greatly appreciated. And I had to lean hard on the ATX when getting knocked about in the surf with no fear of breakage.

I can't say enough good things about the ATX and how it works for me as a water machine for highly mineralized conditions. There would be less benefit in white sand beaches. Ground balancing PI detectors shine where ground conditions are worst. Red soils and black volcanic sands are where the ATX will really outperform the other water machines out there.

In closing, please do not take this as a sales pitch or even as encouragement to buy an ATX. PI detectors are not for everyone and some people who think the ATX is some kind of magic due to this post will be disappointed. I'm not trying to talk anyone into anything. I just know what works for me and what I like and for me at least my search for my perfect Hawaii detector is over. The Garrett ATX does it for me. I have lots more water hunting planned for the ATX in the future and can't wait to get to it.

Upvote 0

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a pal who hunts Hawaii most every day ... His Sand Shark gets the job done, no tweak required. Nice finds!

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like OP works for garrett

and I'm being serious here

I guess a positive commentary bothers some people! Funny because the folks at Garrett probably think I have been pretty hard on them as of late.

I do not work for Garrett. I am a self employed prospector, writer, and metal detector expert. I have done some very low level consulting with Garrett, Fisher, Minelab and White's over the years but have never been in their employ, though all four have given me metal detectors over the years to testing and evaluation purposes. I also was an owner of the one of the largest metal detecting and prospecting supply stores in the country for 35 years. If you are that interested in me try Googling steve herschbach gold

The finds were made on Kauai.

Last edited:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Steve...Nice bunch of finds there! Congrats:hello2::hello2::hello2:

I've been swinging the ATX for just under a month now and really like it. It's a bit heavy and super tough but I think I'm building up some new shoulder muscles. It's a deep beast for sure!

Interesting settings you had. I'll have to see if going up on the disc and down on sensitivity would help optimize my wet sand hunting too. I'm usually at disc 1 and sensitivity 12 or 13.

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Joe,

I am not happy about the ATX weight out of water but feels fine in the water. It is just slightly negative underwater and will settle to the bottom if released.

I think the settings I used were extremely conservative and are not going to give the best depth. I was seeking quiet, stable operation in hot rocks. Those rocks were hiding good finds at relatively shallow depths and being able to work in them was key in making those finds. I think my settings represent a worst case scenario and less aggressive settings should be used if at all possible and that should be the case in most situations. If lower discrimination (pulse delay) and higher sensitivity is working for you that is a good thing.

I could have gotten better depth by running hotter and noisier but the bottom line is I had enough targets to go after as it was. Digging deeper holes did not seem to be the order of the day, especially since I could barely stay put in the surf with 40 lbs of weight on.

I am based in Reno and plan on doing quite a bit of hunting in Lake Tahoe this summer. The ATX does great in the highly mineralized beaches there. I also plan on getting over your way and hitting the California beaches next fall and winter. I have only hunted Tahoe a couple times but snagged a nice gold and diamond ring. I was able to run at minimum disc and max gain on a moderately mineralized beach there.

I have also lined up access to a lot of mining claims on the Yuba River and plan on using the ATX for mask and snorkel nugget detecting this fall. I am cautiously hopeful that could prove to be a very good niche use for the ATX.

Good luck with your ATX. It is a very good detector for those into hunting bad ground with pulse induction detectors. Target the worst locations possible (black sand beaches) and it could really pay off.

Hopefully we can round up some more ATX users on the forum and keep in touch/compare notes. You sure have made some awesome finds!

Here is the ring I found at Tahoe - my first gold with the ATX.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds on your trip. Congratulations.

Un Da Da Sea

Mar 8, 2014
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
White's Dual field
Minelab excal II
Primary Interest:
He's just kidding folks, there is no gold to be found here in Hawaii.
It's the worst place in the world to visit and go metal detecting.
The people are rude and unfriendly. The weather is miserable and the
ocean freezing cold, not to mention the rouge sharks and poisonous jellyfish.
Now I know why I'm not finding anything, I'm going to rush out and get an ATX.
Nah, all joking aside, good for you and congrats on your success.:icon_thumright:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the Sand Sharks kicked butt in Hawaii and cost less than $600...am I wrong?

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve, how did you recover your finds while snorkling - just fanning the sand away or with a scoop. The reason I'm asking is that I've found the metal scoop to interfere with the coil and wondered if you used another method.

Un Da Da Sea

Mar 8, 2014
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
White's Dual field
Minelab excal II
Primary Interest:
I thought the Sand Sharks kicked butt in Hawaii and cost less than $600...am I wrong?

It works for me. I have two of them so that if one needs to be serviced I have a backup.
I rarely use anything else.
Although I haven't tried the ATX.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a mask & snorkel dunk and fan guy. I usually have all I can handle working in the surf without trying to handle a scoop also. I use my scoop more when wading.

I guess I worded my post wrong. I get enthusiastic when something goes well. Just saying I was happy with the ATX. I was not trying to trash other detectors. Sorry if it came off that way.

I had to look and make sure I had not posted on the Tesoro forum by mistake!

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you for the very informative post, Steve:headbang:

Great read; you covered all aspects very well.

Lorraine

Un Da Da Sea

Mar 8, 2014
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
White's Dual field
Minelab excal II
Primary Interest:
I am a mask & snorkel dunk and fan guy. I usually have all I can handle working in the surf without trying to handle a scoop also. I use my scoop more when wading.

I guess I worded my post wrong. I get enthusiastic when something goes well. Just saying I was happy with the ATX. I was not trying to trash other detectors. Sorry if it came off that way.

I had to look and make sure I had not posted on the Tesoro forum by mistake!

I joke a lot about everything my friend. I get in trouble with that sometimes.
I am really glad that you did well here in the Islands. It is tough and the conditions
are challenging. Again congrats, good luck and happy hunting.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the report Steve, Have Always enjoyed them over the years, "On all of the different brands of detectors" And I really like that bracelet!! Next trip get us some video, I would love to see those ruff conditions you hunt in, something I'm working on, but have yet to master.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive Steve! Enjoyed the post, informative. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful finds!!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very informative post Steve. I'm not in the market for the atx because I don't hunt saltwater I do hunt in the rivers and if I get a chance I go to Lake Erie and hunt some beaches. A pi would drive me nuts where I hunt but I like a good honest informative post like you did. Thank you.

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, Here is a question that I think you may be able to answer. My friend has a Minelab CTX3030. It seems to be working very well for him. I am undecided on which to get to add to my collection. How would you compare the ATX versus the CTX? Both are of equal price. Any help is appreciated. Thanks and HH GFP

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett ATX vs Minelab CTX 3030

I have both the Minelab CTX 3030 and Garrett ATX. It is pretty simple really. The ATX gets better depth but you basically dig everything. The CTX has terrific discrimination. I do not mind digging junk where the digging is easy so I use my ATX for water hunting and the CTX for park hunting where discrimination is more important. I must say also I trust the waterproof integrity of the ATX more; there are enough reports of leakage issues with the CTX that I shied away from taking mine to Hawaii.

The two detectors really are apples and oranges. If I am in a place I think is worth the effort I prefer to dig all targets and so I am a big fan of a PI detector like the ATX. But many people will tell you they hate PI detectors because they dig too much trash. The CTX has perhaps the best discrimination of any detector I have used and it is just a fabulous all around machine you can use for anything. The ATX is a more limited site specific type detector. I would encourage you to think hard about whether you want great discrimination or more of a super deep but dig it all detector.

Having both certainly is a great solution if one can afford it. Between the two there is almost no detecting task a person would not be able to tackle and do well. They complement each other perfectly.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread