garrett cx3 good deal?

bag and drag

Jan 20, 2009
I am from the CRH forum but metal detect also,now I own a ace 250 and its "ok".
I have a chance to buy a garrett grand master hunter cx3 which was purchased in 1998 along with three coils-4",8",12" and a carrying case.supposedly used very little and it looks it.
the asking price is $450 but I'm a little nervous about buying a twelve year old machine when maybe for about the same money I can do better with a more modern one.
does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the cx3 and is $450 a decent price for it plus two xtra coils? thanks in advance for input.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CX3 was a decent detector in its day, but now would be heavy compared to what is available today. It will still find the goods but I feel the price is sorta high.

Plug popper

Aug 23, 2010
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GMH CXlll Garrett Master Hunter 10x Garrett master hunter 7x Garrett MH ADS 6 master hunter 5x
Hi. I have a CXIII and i use it a lot :icon_Milford:. Its a great detector with a lot of different features and a good all metal mod that dose a great job. Yes it is heavier compared to the newer models' but its not bad at all. I think all in all its one of the best all around units out there. With all the coils that you will be getting with it you should have no trouble doing all types of hunting. As far as depth' its dose a good job at that as well. I would try to get it cheaper if you can. This is one mans oppion and i am sure that you could buy a mid range unit that is a littel lighter for that kind of money. I am not Sure you will get as many features as the CX has. Also you can still send it in to Garrett and get it fixed. I just sent mine in and they put a new performance coil on a new battery box and calibrated it for a fee of 132.00. That to me was a great deal for a unit bought in 1998. Anyway good luck with what ever type of detector you buy.Have a nice day ---------Plug popper.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....I buy a lot of used detectors .....so I would not feel bad about buying a 12 year old detector....some of mine are 40 years old and older.....Good Luck......JOE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread