Garrett GTA 500

Mutt

Nov 18, 2005
I'm not really "new" to detecting. I have had this Garrett GTA 500 for about 10 years. I have never found any gold,silver or jewelry. I am about 50 east of Dallas, Texas. I have looked for just about as long, for someone near my area to go to different sites with to hunt, but have found no one. :( I have never even seen any one swinging a detector any where in this side of the state !!! I have always saved everything I have pulled out of the ground except foil and tabs and such. The only places I know to go are the local school grounds and the park. I really want to go where some REAL action is. The town was established I think in the 1850's. At one time, was the cotton market for the county and was really thriving then. I would like to hear ideas for other places to check out & suggestions on what I really need to research to find specific old locations in/around the town.Thanks
Mutt

Upvote 0

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check to see if there are some old fairgrounds in your area, swimming holes, picnic areas, houses, or pretty much anywhere there were a lot of people outside at one time. make sure to always ask for permission, good luck!

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 miles east of dallas ??? terrell has a old drive in theather that my brothers have turned a few merc's out uhmm.. their is a air flight school in caddo mills and josphine a few miles south of that has some old playground equimpment next to the church and a post office by it. Farmersville has some old homes buit in the 1800's and if i rember right two parks one is a scocer feild/baseball.

I have used my GTA 500 all around that area and turned up some pretty neat stuff, just moved to denver and hope to maybe move back to that area at the end of the year.
keep diggin hope these sites pay off for you

P.S. got to love that texas clay it may be a pain to dig in but stuff does not seem to sink as far down as here in denver.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that in this area (Dallas) research is the key to finding anything other then pulltabs. (and I really like pulltabs)

Check your local historical society and main public library for historical records and maps.

In this area the Shawnee trail ran right through here. Also the main southern ferry crossing for the Trinity river was here.

Sometimes you do the research only to find out it is all buried under concrete.

I keep a small notebook and record all my site visits and finds. ( its how I keep track of my pulltabs)

There are a few of us in the Dallas area, I can think of 5 of them on tnet right now.

You said that you were in the cotton market for the county and If I had to guess I would say you were in Terrell.

There is a lot of history in that town and I have found a few really nice pulltabs there LOL, anyhow check down from that historical depot in town (follow the tracks and look for old hobo places).

Also, outside the grounds of the Hospital (off the property, the woods behind and to the side of the property) There was also a WWII British flight school on the southside of town. It would be a good place with the proper research (barracks, clubs, parade fields, etc.)

kntutt

Mar 3, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Mutt:

Jeep is right. It will be about research. Go to the historical society, chamber of commerce, library etc. and see if you can find old pictures and locations of where various buildings and sites were. You say that this was the cotton producing center of the county. Where was the cotton hauled, stored, sold etc? Where did the workers and visitors stay.

Think of yourself back in that time. Where were your horses kept, the stable probably. Where did you stay, recreate, drink etc. That is how you have to approach it. Was there a swimming hole, a fair ground? Just let your mind wonder and search to see if any of those places existed and where were they located. You will find them.

OP
OP
M

Mutt

Nov 18, 2005
Hello all. I am in Wills Point, 20 miles east of Terrell. Wills Point, was the center for cotton in the ealry 1900's. the cotton was sold here and stored here and shipped by rail from here. Canton, the county seat,didn't have rails. The old cotton gin was bulldozed about 3 years ago. I think one of the problems I am having is like one of you say, most places of interest have been concreted over. What about the 5 people around the Dallas area that are here on Tnet? Do y'all ever go out as a group and go a diggin'? Would y'all mind if someone else tagged along and learned from more experiences hunters?

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area your in is a good area actually. It is a little historical crazy and your right, most places are paved over or more then likely historical sites.

I have not met up with any other MDers in the area, am not adverse to it just never done it.

I spend more time on research then on actual swinging because of the various obstacles in the way
( landowners permission, right of way, State land, historical significance and applicable laws ) Texas is a strange state to MD in and most people do not know or do not realise that it is Illegal to break the surface of the ground on any State Land. Most of the time you are ignored or told to move on in some area's but if you meet the right (officer) you may have to explain it to a judge.

That is why I say do the research. I research and get permission or I am so deep in the woods that no one cares.

You have Lake Tawakoni right there. If I am right even though it is a State Park and MDing is not allowed. You have a loophole through the Corp of Engineers that manage the Dam and Water area's.

I used that at Lake Lavon and did pretty well in retrieving Pull Tabs. Of course I turned them in when I left with all the historical significance they provide. I was very lucky cause they let me keep them all lol.

Check in the Corp of Engineers Headquarters, It is usually the first building when you enter the park and around the entrance and ask what areas are open to MDing. Be polite and informed.

The Corp of Engineers policy allows all beaches, swimming area and hard use (picnic area, play areas) open to MDing. The Policy also has a caveat that The District Commander can change the designated areas or revoke permission at his discretion at any time. So you need to check in everytime you go.

You should have good luck at the swimming area.

I am retired and travel around a lot so my lifestyle does not do well with organized clubs, reminds me of a mandatory meeting or something. Too much drama for me.

I have no problem if I am around and your in the area and want to meet up and hit some parks. I don't know about experience, I gave up on the pretence of the science of this hobby a long time ago. I dig when it beeps cause I don't want to miss a pulltab.

Or if you want to do Tawakoni we can see about permission and we can meet there one Sunny Day.

Have a great day

OP
OP
M

Mutt

Nov 18, 2005
Thanks Jeep. Any time you are around my area, shoot me a line or give me a call. I found today, an old cotton plantation just 2 miles from my place (going towards the dam at Tawakoni) I know the land owner well,so I should have no problems accessing his acreage !!! The spillway at Tawakoni is about 8 miles from my house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread