Garrett Infinium, Help or it goes !!!

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I must admit I have only heard about this Infinium for the past year or so...
I am a die-hard (Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro user) never once thinking about a Garrett, why? I can't actually tell you 'cause I don't know myself (lol). But, anyways...I had a diver friend who said he had one sitting in his closet for the past 2 years, collecting dust and that it was remained there because he could never fully understand the unit and his patience gave out in the first couple dives of trying to learn it.
Long story short...I ended up with it this week.
And now it sits in my closet........
Yikes !!! I thought my ole' Fisher Impulse was noisy in some conditions...but the Infinium wins hands down. Is it common to get a false signal at a " left swing"? Yard it's very erratic, beach it does quiet down but have to swing the coil so slow...that it makes me look like I am an old man.
Help guys, what is it with this beast or is it because it's a early series ???
I am not your beginner detectorist...but, this Infinium is kicking my arse.
HELP !!! or it goes and goes cheap.

Trez

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
now that I told you I'd be interested in it, I don't know a thing about it lol But can't you go to Garrett and download the manual for it. I had a 110 from them several years ago that I was able to get the manual that way.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have the video to it you would under stand the sounds. It has a high to low tone on some targets and a low to high on other targets.And it has to be ground balanced.There are ways to reduce the noise.You need to watch the video.If you don't have one Garrett will send you one free...........And if you still don't like it i will buy it from you also.........Call garrett and give him the serial number and they will tell you if it needs the new updated chip..............thats all it's up to you now good luck i love mine and i could always use a second one.......................................................==Jim==

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
If you are used to detecting with a VLF detector, you can't just pick up an Infinium and start using it. It must be tuned and ground balanced. It must be learned too. There is a learning curve to it, and you cannot swing it very fast either. And a lot of us old men are finding all sorts of gold at scary depths ;D. It can't be used in a house. The electronic appliances make it unstable. It's difficult to answer your question, because I don't know if in fact you ground balanced it and picked an operating frequency for it. Are the batteries good? Perhaps it's faulty. That's the problem when you get a used detector from someone else, you just don't know. Do a little research on the Infinium forum to see about tuning it. It's a fairly hard to explain. You have to learn it yourself. Good luck with it. If you get it figured out, you have a great weapon in your hands for the right locations. It is not a do it all detector. And if you want to sell it, I too would be interested.

Below is a link to my first year hunting with the Infinium. Give it some time to download:

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/ZT8SI9HY

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Trez,

First thing I would do is call Garrett and see if the chip needs to be updated to the latest version. The next thing is the coil might have a defective cable and that could cause some falsing during movement. If it were me, I would contact Garrett and just send in the whole machine just to make sure everything is working correctly (especially since it's a water machine)! After all is confirmed working correctly, you need to read the Infinium site to see how to setup and adjust the detector. It does have a learning curve, you just need to approach it like no other detector you've ever used. If you give it the time, it will pay you back with nice deep finds again and again!
This is no turn on and go machine, it's a PI detector and you have to practice with it like any new pro-level machine if you expect to get something out of it!

Thanks and HH!!! ;)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Indasurf said:
Trez,

First thing I would do is call Garrett and see if the chip needs to be updated to the latest version. The next thing is the coil might have a defective cable and that could cause some falsing during movement. If it were me, I would contact Garrett and just send in the whole machine just to make sure everything is working correctly (especially since it's a water machine)! After all is confirmed working correctly, you need to read the Infinium site to see how to setup and adjust the detector. It does have a learning curve, you just need to approach it like no other detector you've ever used. If you give it the time, it will pay you back with nice deep finds again and again!
This is no turn on and go machine, it's a PI detector and you have to practice with it like any new pro-level machine if you expect to get something out of it!

Thanks and HH!!! ;)
................ ???............ Indasurf ......Give you the right info the same as i said call Garrett or send it in and find out if there is a problem......For the..Infinium.. is a darn good detector if it is working right and set up right.......................................==Jim==

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Somethings is big time wrong there pal. I've only had my LS about a month and due to winter have only been able to do small open areas but mine runs smooth as silk. I live in an area of big powerlines and tons of trash and it has no problem.

But it is not like VLF detectors, that's for sure. In fact I'm beginning to think it's superior to VLF once understood.

Once you get it working right, get that 8" concentric coil. It's much easier to use and pinpoints far better.

Even better is to sell it to me cheap ;D

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
:) :)....NO NO Even better than that sell it to me cheap....... ;D :D................Better than that fix it and use it...........................................................==Jim==

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hey trez im thinking about buying one ,,,,what don't you like about it ??? i need to be talked out of this before I spend the money,,, guzz1

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are getting some kind of tone on a left swing only, you may have a damaged coil wire. Other than that, I would say start at the ground balance of the machine. If you have a manual, it will explain it but it is pretty simple. You turn it on in slow or fast mode and pump the coil up and down near the ground until the machine quietens then put it the lock mode and go to town. You should not be hearing very much noise at all. Mine is very quiet. I did send it back to Garrett recently to get it updated since it was a couple of years old. They updated the internal computer for me at no cost other than shipping.

They can get noisy if you don't balance them right, if you have a damaged cable or if there is some significant electrical interference nearby but it would have to be very strong. I am really enjoying my machine although I haven't been in the water in almost two months. The spring is coming though.

If you have not read the manual on the Infinium, that would be a good read for you.

Good luck,

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread