Garrett New pulse machine?

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out YouTube, search for Garrett ATX. There are several good clips from users in the field. It looks a very good machine but I will wait a while before I jump. I like to see a track record instead of jumping in when new. I did see a comparison video with the ATX vs The top of the line Minelab both were using DD coils and the ATX did a better job. The Minelab with the concentric may have a bit of an edge but at more then twice the price I think I'll eventually go with the Garrett.

OP
OP
Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou

Dec 26, 2012
Orange, VA.
Detector(s) used
Whites blue&gray, fisher cz3d, Garrett atx
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll be testing in Orange And Culpeper Va this weekend.

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to hear your report. One of the video clips on the Garrett site was of the Digging Virginia event. Several guys were using the ATX in Culpepper, Va. Really hot ground but it looks like the ATX handled it in style!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out YouTube, search for Garrett ATX. There are several good clips from users in the field. It looks a very good machine but I will wait a while before I jump. I like to see a track record instead of jumping in when new. I did see a comparison video with the ATX vs The top of the line Minelab both were using DD coils and the ATX did a better job. The Minelab with the concentric may have a bit of an edge but at more then twice the price I think I'll eventually go with the Garrett.

Be careful what you see on YouTube. In one video I watched the user was trying to portray that the ATX was better than the GPX 5000... but the video was made using an ATX at max sensitivity and the GPX 5000 at 75% sensitivity; plus he had the GPX 5000 with a setting never designed for a DD coil, only a mono coil. I'm not going to say or infer it was deliberate in any way, but possibly out of ignorance as to how to properly set up the GPX 5000. That was only one video, though....

This is not to dismiss the ATX - it looks like a great machine, especially for the price. It appears Garrett has made exceptional strides with their PI technology as compared to the Infinium. :thumbsup: I hope to eventually try one and see what they are about, maybe even own one for my own personal use in wet conditions. :) But at this point in time knowing what I know after several years of relic hunting with a GPX 5000, and what I have seen of the ATX (qualifier - second hand info - not first hand!).... if money is no object - if waterproofing is not an issue - I'd suggest the GPX 5000 if someone wanted max performance.

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is the same video I saw. Didn't catch the settings. The guy doing the video said he was using a DD coil on both detectors and that the Minelab would normally be using a different coil for nugget hunting. That's one of the reasons I am going to wait before making a decision. I know the Minelab has a great track record. It's the price that's hard to take. If the Garrett lives up to its promises I would most likely go with that but I would like to see a lot more feed back.

OP
OP
Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou

Dec 26, 2012
Orange, VA.
Detector(s) used
Whites blue&gray, fisher cz3d, Garrett atx
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got a couple hours in today with the atx. Dug a eagle cuff at about 10" of some of the hottest ground in my area. A pistol bullet at about 8". Don't think it up to the gpx but for less than half the price I'm impressed. Can't wait to get more time with the machine.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was really interested to hear how it worked for you in the red dirt. Thanks for sharing!

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there a lot of GPX's being used for relic hunting? I always thought it was a Gold machine. The GPX seems to do real well in the desert but not as good here in Colorado. Not sure why and I don't have first hand knowledge as I have never used one but that seems to be the opinion of the guys in my club that have the Minelabs. Keep the reports coming on the ATX

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh there are a ton of Minelab GPXs used for relic hunting! A bunch of them are used in Northern VA, where the Civil War encampments are found but the soil is too hot to use a VLF detector. It's relatively easy to find bullets at 16-18" with one with a bit of training and a proper setup. :thumbsup:

After using one for several years, the GPX 5000 has become my personal favorite detector... After using it VLF machines seem so vastly underpowered.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any updates on the ATX in salt water? Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread