Garrett Pin Pointer Mode - Water Resisitance Upgrade

Pigstick

Jun 11, 2013
Full-time RVer
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I got tired of digging mud & dirt out of the speaker area of my Garrett Pin Pointer, plus I wanted to make it a little more water "resistant" so I pulled out my can of Flex Seal and tape. I glued a small piece of paper towel over the two speaker holes because I didn't want the Flex Seal to fill up those holes and block more of the audio alert sound than it needed to. As advertised the Flex Seal stays "flexible" and tough after it dries, so the on/off button works normally and to my surprise the audio alert level is still loud.

20130724_112237.jpg
20130724_122417.jpg
20130724_162129.jpg
20130725_095940.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If you want waterproof, you should have gotten a Vibraprobe. Waterproof, turnes itself on and off automaticly, and the sucker will last and last. It's only a couple of bucks more. Frank...

z taft face.jpg

OP
OP
Pigstick

Pigstick

Jun 11, 2013
Full-time RVer
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ohhh good to know Frankn, maybe next time!

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For some reason I was thinking you were going to spray the whole thing kind of making a protective case/sleeve for the pinpointer.
Was thinking that with the tape on it you could peel the sleeve off of the pinpointer.

Roy

Last edited:

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool man8-)

I just got Mine today and am trying to figure out which way to go as far as "Water Proofing" it. I'm having fun using My ATP in a stream that
runs through an old park I hunt and a submersible pin pointer would help a lot.

This is one video I've been watching a bunch of lately in anticipation of getting the Pro Pointer. It's from another member here who has a bunch of
YT Vids water hunting and his solution looks like it works pretty good too.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Very cool man8-)

I just got Mine today and am trying to figure out which way to go as far as "Water Proofing" it. I'm having fun using My ATP in a stream that
runs through an old park I hunt and a submersible pin pointer would help a lot.

This is one video I've been watching a bunch of lately in anticipation of getting the Pro Pointer. It's from another member here who has a bunch of
YT Vids water hunting and his solution looks like it works pretty good too.

Did you miss post #2 ? Frank... 111-1 profileblk.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used some Tyveck and silicone. Works great why buy another pin pointer when you can water proof the one you already have? The lanyard is the most important thing as they can get gone quick. I did not look at the video but imagine it is Aquachigger. He does great videos.
Good luck !

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you miss post #2 ? Frank... View attachment 834869

Hey Frankn, thanks AGAIN for the heads-up man. I just ordered the Vibra-Probe AND (LOL) a Vibra-Tector (How cool are those?!) from
Kellyco. I'll keep the Pro-Pointer stock for now. 8-)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hey Frankn, thanks AGAIN for the heads-up man. I just ordered the Vibra-Probe AND (LOL) a Vibra-Tector (How cool are those?!) from
Kellyco. I'll keep the Pro-Pointer stock for now. 8-)

The Vibra Tector has a range of app. 6". It is great for searching walls looking for caches. It was actually made for wreck searching underwater. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vibra Tector has a range of app. 6". It is great for searching walls looking for caches. It was actually made for wreck searching underwater. Frank...

View attachment 836440

Well, I won't be using it (The Vibra-Tector) for anything as cool as all that but...wow...a PI machine for under $200!

I'm digging everything these days so it'll fit right in 8-)

Thanks again for buying Me a vowel man....

Tread'

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both the Vibra-tector 730, and the Vibra-probe580, The Vibra-tectpr 730 has a 4 inch coil and is submersible to 30 feet, The Vibra-probe 580 is waterproof. both PI units. The 730 is handy around coin spills at a tot lot and for snorkeling at the beach. The 580 while it does not say it is submersible, I just may try it when my AT Pro comes back from Garrett.
IMG_0087.JPG

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the Vibra-tector 730, and the Vibra-probe580, The Vibra-tectpr 730 has a 4 inch coil and is submersible to 30 feet, The Vibra-probe 580 is waterproof. both PI units. The 730 is handy around coin spills at a tot lot and for snorkeling at the beach. The 580 while it does not say it is submersible, I just may try it when my AT Pro comes back from Garrett.
View attachment 836770

FWIW, KellyCo lists it (The 580) as water-proof to 100FT. I certainly hope it is (?) 'cause....that's pretty much My whole reason for buying it..lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread