Garrett Pinpointer - Orange vs. Black? Is an XP MI-4 a better choice?

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a lot of Garrets over the last (15) years or so - (4) or (5) Black and (3) Orange.
The on/off buttons fell out of two of my Black ones - sent in for repair - the Orange on/off button are much better.
They both false a lot - (even when ground balanced) had turn them on and off again countless times.
Sold them all.

Now I have (2) XP MI-6's - much, much better quality.
If I was you I'd consider getting a MI-4 or MI-6.

Good Hunting !
You’re killing me! Lol.
I just ordered the Garrett carrot. We’ll see how it works out. My black ones are still working great.
I’m a pretty basic old fart. I still detect with my Tesoro Vaquero and have my two Silver uMax too for the grandkids once they get older. 👍

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
Everything takes time to learn and switching from one to another there's a learning curve.
I found the Deus 1/2 different from the previous 4 Minelabs.
But after 6 yrs on them sounds normal.
I never had any issues with the PP sound.
I like stealth for everything.
I only use the headphones to not annoy the neighbours but since I have permissions it’s more of a being nice than anything else. Field is large enough that sometimes they can’t hear you even on max.

And I agree but the choking duck that is the deus 2 is soooo annoying

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
You’re killing me! Lol.
I just ordered the Garrett carrot. We’ll see how it works out. My black ones are still working great.
I’m a pretty basic old fart. I still detect with my Tesoro Vaquero and have my two Silver uMax too for the grandkids once they get older. 👍
You’re killing me! Lol.
I actually went through the same process when I first started detecting in 2010, bought a black one and then another later. Finally the Orange one. The black ones never stopped working though. I like max depth ability so I have a collection of various pointers now.

You did what I'd done. "If something ain't broke, don't fix it."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread