Garrett Pro Pointer or Sun Ray DX-1 on new MXT PRO

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either one for a first time user. With the Sunray probe you won't ever walk off and leave it or forget in and leave it in the car. The Sunray will run off the detectors batteries and meter.
http://www.sunraydetector.com/
NRA2.JPG

Last edited:

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not have a Sun Ray probe but often toy with the idea of adding one to my V3i. I have a "Treasure Mate" (great on small gold but the knobs on it require you to fiddle with it almost each time since they get bumped and moved a lot) a "Vibra Probe (great at the beach but a bit too long for my preference when land hunting) and a Garrett "Pro-Pointer (the one I use).

My thoughts on the Sun Ray: will add some weight to your machine, will require modification or attachment to your rod, will require that you flip a switch to change from detector coil to probe, is not a "non motion" probe; meaning you will have to wiggle it (like a tiny coil) to read a target, will respond to whatever discrimination setting you have set on your machine. Like I mentioned I have not tried or used one but know many do have them and like them.

My thoughts on a Garrett Pro-Pointer: less expensive than the Sun Ray, is a "non motion" probe; meaning you can hold it in place over the object and it will sound off (both audio and vibrate, with the audio and vibration rate increasing as you get closer to the target), if you acquire another machine (and sometime in the future you will..we all do..) you need not buy another probe and it is all metal; responds to any and all metal objects; coins etc.

Getting a probe; either a Sun Ray or Pro Pointer is a much needed tool to have. Some folk when entering the hobby fail to recognize this but having one will sure save you time and add to your enjoyment.

Good luck on what you decide. Both would suit you well. Just comes down to cost and how simple or not you want it to be.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sun Ray DX-1 costs about $60.00 more than the Garrett Pro Pointer and lasts about $300.00 worth longer. In fact, I've never had a Sun Ray probe go bad.
I had a DX-1 on a V3i and it is not "motion only". When you lock your toggle switch in pin point mode, then switch from "coil" to "probe" the Dx-1 probe is now in pin point.
Folks, all the DX-1 is, is a one inch coil. It comes with a little control box that allows you to switch back and forth between the 12", 10", 6x10", 9.5", 5.3", 4x6", or whatever coil you have mounted to the end of the rod, and the one inch coil mounted inside of the probe.
The entire DX-1 assembly weighs 10 ounces. If you are so weak that you can't handle an additional 10 ounces mounted to your detector, carry it in your pocket or finds pouch while you hunt.
And no, the DX-1 will not run your batteries down faster. Whenever it is "on", the search coil is "off", so no additional battery drain is possible.
The ONLY logical argument I have ever heard against the inline probe is if you own multiple detectors and only want to invest in one pin pointer. Personally, I like the inline probes so much, I have them on all my detectors that can use them.

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the Garrett and it is very good, however, once I went Sunray I never looked back. You do not forget it and it reacts just as your detector did when it found the target so so know if its a piece of iron next to the target your after. I love the sunray.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a4wdguy said:
The Sun Ray DX-1 costs about $60.00 more than the Garrett Pro Pointer and lasts about $300.00 worth longer. In fact, I've never had a Sun Ray probe go bad.
I had a DX-1 on a V3i and it is not "motion only". When you lock your toggle switch in pin point mode, then switch from "coil" to "probe" the Dx-1 probe is now in pin point.
Folks, all the DX-1 is, is a one inch coil. It comes with a little control box that allows you to switch back and forth between the 12", 10", 6x10", 9.5", 5.3", 4x6", or whatever coil you have mounted to the end of the rod, and the one inch coil mounted inside of the probe.
The entire DX-1 assembly weighs 10 ounces. If you are so weak that you can't handle an additional 10 ounces mounted to your detector, carry it in your pocket or finds pouch while you hunt.
And no, the DX-1 will not run your batteries down faster. Whenever it is "on", the search coil is "off", so no additional battery drain is possible.
The ONLY logical argument I have ever heard against the inline probe is if you own multiple detectors and only want to invest in one pin pointer. Personally, I like the inline probes so much, I have them on all my detectors that can use them.

Hi a4wdguy, do you have to re-ground balance each time you switch to the probe with the V3i in high mineralized soil or doesnt it really make any difference?

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, with the V3i, I found that if I didn't ground balance the probe it would often start giving a tone that got louder and louder (increasing threshold). Ground balancing the probe prevented that. After target recovery, simply pulling and releasing the trigger reset the detector.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the Garrett prob and the Sun Ray. I mostly used the Garrett unless when I cut my plug and the Garret wont find it, they I use the Sun Ray. Sometimes if I am in a nicer area and want to further pinpoint the target, I use the Sun Ray before I cut a plug if I think its only a few inches deep. . I wont go with out both of them. One helps and one helps more when needed. This is on my V3i and I also have the setup for my old 5900 Di Pro SL.

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might just have to add a Sun Ray to my V3i thanks to all of the information posted on this thread. I like the idea of being able to isolate shallow targets using the probe when working manicured lawns.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I had saw this post I basically just asked the same question I to have a couple detectors but recently got the v3i love the technology & beeing able to see what I'm digging at the moment I'm using the pro pointer because I have multiple detectors but wanted more just for the new weapon in the arsenal now is the dx-1 the only probe to fit on the v3i

reg11756

Feb 4, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites SURF PI; MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not "officially" for sale but if anyone wants my Sunray DX-1 I would part with it. PM me

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not "officially" for sale but if anyone wants my Sunray DX-1 I would part with it. PM me

Great guy & a pleasure to deal with

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on some of the comments on this thread I bought a brand new DX1 for my V3i. Out of the box and without making any modifications on the V3i I can get just a slight improvement on depth with the DX1 versus a handheld. I contacted Ralph with Sun Ray thinking mine might be defective but received a response that 2-3" is the best I could expect from it when used on the V3i. I get 2" average with mine. Some have suggested using it in pinpoint mode to get better depth; cranking up the all metal sensitivity and what not.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well mine should be in ah day or so same set up on the v3i its goin ill let u know if its going as deep as urs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread