Magil

Jan 18, 2008
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, Sharpshooter II
There is a long stretch of gravel road near my summer place that
has been in use since the 1800's.
On one side runs a trout stream and on the other are limestone
outcroppings that are pocketed with hundreds of small caves and holes.
I've tried shining a light into the holes to see if they contain anything without
much success in seeing behind or around corners or the rocks inside.
(My active imagination tells me that someone must have stashed something in these
natural hiding places at one time or another)
Does anyone have an opinion on how a Garrett Pro Pointer might work in this
situation? At least I could reach in as far as my arm would allow and poke around
the corners, etc.
I'm aware that these holes are the ideal habitat for the timber rattlers in the area.
I plan to soak a rag in ammonia on the end of a stick and poke that back into the holes
before sticking my arm in. I've heard that this will drive snakes out of their hiding places.

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
If you are looking to find a cache then the pro-pointer would be a great option. Although it will only detect a single coin a couple inches it will detect a coffee can really good. Tape the propointer to a "Gooseneck" then have that connected to a shaft.

Might also consider a digital camera attached to a similar gooseneck with a wide angle lens you can set for say 5 second delay shot. Move the camera into the hole, *Snap* it takes the shot you pull it out and take a look at what's in there.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JohnnieWalker said:
If you are looking to find a cache then the pro-pointer would be a great option. Although it will only detect a single coin a couple inches it will detect a coffee can really good. Tape the propointer to a "Gooseneck" then have that connected to a shaft.

Might also consider a digital camera attached to a similar gooseneck with a wide angle lens you can set for say 5 second delay shot. Move the camera into the hole, *Snap* it takes the shot you pull it out and take a look at what's in there.

Both of these ideas are really good. I'd do everything I could to make sure that I didn't put my hand in a hole that wasn't thoroughly checked out first. You can also go to Harbor Freight and pick up one of those inspection cameras that they use for looking into motors and ductwork for $120. Here is a link.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66550

I've never used one so I can't vouch for the quality. But this seems ideal for what you are wanting to do.

OP
OP
Magil

Magil

Jan 18, 2008
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Thanks! I really like these camera ideas!
The area saw lots of Indian activity as well. Just
might find a hidden stash of arrow heads using a
camera.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magil said:
Thanks! I really like these camera ideas!
The area saw lots of Indian activity as well. Just
might find a hidden stash of arrow heads using a
camera.

Yeah, good point. A metal detector is only going to detect metal. With a camera of some kind you can see non-metallic objects as well. I like the way you think! :icon_thumright:

Good luck. Make sure you let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
Magil

Magil

Jan 18, 2008
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Well, I struck out on this idea. Tried the timed camera trick with no success.
The flash overexposed the small areas I tried to explore.
Finally resorted to just sticking my arm in the holes as far as I could and feeling around.
Didn't even find a snake.
But, I haven't given up on the area or all the holes in the limestone around here.
There are also numerous limestone bluffs beside the railroad tracks that run along both
sides of the Mississippi river near here. I got to thinking that these might have even more
potential! (River Pirates, Railroad Workers, Hobos...some body had to use these spots to hide stuff!)
There's a lot of Mississippi shoreline and bluffs to explore! Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois.
It won't hurt my feelings if you want to help me cover the territory.
Let us know if you find anything!

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also need to set the camera to macro mode because the items you'll be taking a picture of will be very close to the camera. I still think that something like these devices would be your best bet:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=66550

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=95833-DDD

There are other models around but these are made specifically for the type of thing you are trying to do. Some of them have IR illuminators on the end so that you can see in dark places. But I can understand if you wouldn't want to spend the money on them just for the sake of looking in holes. :wink:

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mts said:
JohnnieWalker said:

Both of these ideas are really good. I'd do everything I could to make sure that I didn't put my hand in a hole that wasn't thoroughly checked out first. You can also go to Harbor Freight and pick up one of those inspection cameras that they use for looking into motors and ductwork for $120. Here is a link.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66550

I've never used one so I can't vouch for the quality. But this seems ideal for what you are wanting to do.
If you are considering the Harbor Freight version, you can get 20% off using this coupon.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/SingleMagLanders/americanprofile/images/20_c.jpg

OP
OP
Magil

Magil

Jan 18, 2008
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makes it awful tempting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions