Garrett TALKING CX metal detector

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
Hi i have a Metal detector from garrett,I think its like 10 - 15 years old.It was one of the best came with a garret bag and it TALKS and Tell you with a Female voive what the item is.I have not been metal detecting in the last 10-15 years and only used the unit twice.Its still like new i guess and wondering has the Metal detectors has got that much better?I think since i am retired in live in the poconos pa that i might find a few good sites......I was thinking of taking it to Lake tahoe and go a bit north and try to find GOLD with it and wondering if this unit is any good at finding gold?thanks for all yea help...Johnny

Upvote 0

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum...... Your CX III will find gold or Silver ( if it is there.).......I still use mine ,and don't want to buy another detector till I KNOW it is going to be 25-30% better than THIS PURCHASE.....I just don't see it being sound,economicly..You can still do just fine with it ....If you hit a spot that has any worthwhile finds...........'Hear That Beep...? Digga...Deep ...!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CXIII is a very good machine,

it will hold its own against any new detector of today.

It was designed to be a "do all" machine with major efforts towards prospecting, and cache hunting as well as coin hunting. I owned 1 for approx. 5 yrs during the early/mid 90s, and found tons of good coins, relics, etc. with it. It works especially well with the 5x10 elliptical coil which also lightens the detector quite a bit.

The design of machine was/is not a comfortable one, it requires 6 or 8 C size batts adding to the weight, and ease of swing was an issue with me. Those were the only major draw backs I found, and was why I ended up selling mine.

The overall performance of the machine is still just about unbeatable, the depth is good, the ID meter is good, (especially if you have the 2nd generation machine from the mid 90s with Power Master Circuitry which was an up-graded micro chip from 10 bits to 12 bits) and you can also attach the 2 box depth multiplier for cache hunting (1 of only 3 Garrett machines made that accepts it).

The machine also has "VCO" pin-pointing which is deadly accurate (a feature I wish all top end machines had).

Advice/tips,

1: turn the "Treasure talk" feature off while hunting-- it has no viable/beneficial use whatsoever, it will slow your hunting down, and will drive you nuts + it helps wear out the batts faster.

2: hunt in all metal "motion mode" (not true all metal "non motion mode") for best results, added depth, and most variety of finds while hunting (especially in less trashy areas).

3: For gold "prospecting" - use "True all metal non motion mode" to find small nuggets.

4: Turn on "Bi-Level" tone ID so that you don't miss good relics, and can tell the difference in what is under the coil. 1 mistake guys made with these detecors which caused them to miss a LOT of good targets was, they used only "Bell Tone" because they like/d the sound (but) the problem with that is, you'll miss good brass, nickel, gold, etc. targets because they don't ring like coins do with only the "Bell tone" on. You need to hear the multi tone to tell if you're over gold, brass, nickel, etc.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your finds!

HH

Lonewolfe

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like lonewolfe says,It is a little hard to swing .... if you use the 8 1/2" or 12 1/2" coil....and...Without the armrest add-on it can be down right painful....You might ask lonewolfe or someone else that is experienced in nugget hunting,which coil would be the right choice...I have never hunted for gold nuggets and wouldn't have a clue....H.H

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered a new Garrett GPI 2500 Pro. I haven't got it yet but I copied the manual and it has that talking feature. So if you see some nut out argueing with his detector it will probably be me! The little voice is supposed to give you instructions on how to set the detector up for specific uses, but I think I'd be too embarassed to use it. I would love to hear one say something like, " I said discrimination dumb a$$"! I'm use to my wife telling me like that! Actually my wife is a really good old gal and got me into this detecting business. Wait....is that good or bad? :Dk

OP
OP
J

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
Thanks yeaaa for all your help,,,i think i should use it a bit before thinking of upgrading it lol...Still new only used it twice and i pretty dumb thinking of upgrading before really getting it dirty a bit..Thanks jt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread