garrettVLF/TRdeepseeker

eileen_worth

Aug 23, 2008
I have a garrett VLF/TR DEEPSEEKER, I got the manual for it but I'm new to this and I've read it till its falling apart & still don't know how to use it!! Can anyone give me easier instructions, I would really like to know where to set it to find gold, (like where to set each knob) also how deep it goes.I have a 10.5 & 5.5 coils. Also what does TR stand for? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! THANK-YOU VERY MUCH

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey;, welcome to the forum.

The "TR" stands for Transmitter / Receiver. At one time, TR was the only system with an ability to discriminate targets. The "VLF" stands for Very Low Frequency. The VLF gave us deeper detecting machines and ability to ground balance.

Your Garrett Deepseeker is a good machine and should still nail all targets with in the 0 inch to 5 inch "goodies" zone. (and probably deeper)

I suggest that you go to the "Metal Detector Reviews---Owners" subject area on this forum and then click on the "Garrett's" sub-thread. That's were you'll find Garrett affectionados. I had a Garrett's many years ago and liked it, but went to Whites and finally to Tesoros. You should be able to find all of the help you need (or want ;D) at that thread.
Good luck and good hunting. :thumbsup:

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
I still use my 25 year old Garrett, as does my dad, only his is older, (a garrett groundhog)
the suggestion to go to the detector area of the forum is a good one, but just a note here,
when you are first starting out to get to know the machine, if the place you are detecting is not highly mineralized (iron or other metals occurring naturally in the soil) start with the TR mode. It is the simpler side of things.
When you can find dropped coins (you drop them) then move on to trying to find some you didn't drop, maybe out by the clothes line. After you have the TR half of the machine down, switch over to the VLF side of things. the VLF/TR are really two different machines in one body, get to know each of them, and then good luck finding something nice, it is a fun sport, even though I usually only find nails, old knives, etc. Not like my dad who has found bayonets and civil war sword belt plates.

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
I had one of those years ago, Garrett said it was a gold detector, I hunted and hunted in a good area, finally met a guy with a fairly large nugget, it wouldn't even beep on it. That soured me on Garrett products.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread