Gas Barbeques

S

stefen

Bought a stainless BBQ at the beginning of summer and found that it eats propane gas like theres no tomarrow.

Last week, it emptied a new 6 gallon tank after one use...I always close the valve after each use.

Recently I have been using an exchange tank service instead of having the tank refilled at a gas station.

Its either the most inefficient unit or there is a major leak.

However, I suspect that I was given a almost empty tank.

Anybody have a similar experience?

Attachments

• master_WEB147.jpg
    master_WEB147.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 133

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Nope. I'm a charcoal man all the way. :thumbsup:

I'm in agreement that you got a tank that was almost empty. :icon_scratch: Try it again and let us know.

Randy

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suspect a leak or almost empty tank. Fill it up at a station where you can make sure the tank is full.

BangTango

Feb 24, 2009
They are supposed to weight the tank after filling. Did they do that? My wife said no more gas , she hates that, she say charcol all the way , but only after the first burn. I do have to say she has a degree in culinary arts. So, I go along with that and food is GREAT!
Bang

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that you got an (almost) empty tank and I think you would smell it, if it was leaking. I get mine refilled ONLY.

OP
OP
S

stefen

Checked tank weight and found it to be full...returned to vender and found that the valve was not opening when the stem handle was turned...

Apparently as long as the tank can be refilled there was no reason to test the tank or the valve assembly.

This tells me several things...mainly that safety is obviously not a concern with the vender's supplier.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I got rid of a big propane grill a few years back & now go charcoal only, sometimes with some good
wood coals. IMO, big difference in flavor for a little extra work. I keep a little portable propane for
a fast burger or hot dog. If you think it might be leaking , get a bottle of 'Snoop' leak detector or mix
up a little dishliquid & water & squirt it along the gas lines & check for frothy bubbles for the leak.
Possibly a bad valve at the tank, but you probably would have smelled that gas leak.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions