gas mileage

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
Since the price of oil made it to $100 a bbl I thought I'd post this gas saver tip. Do you drive around with your receiver in your towing hitch? If so you are wasting gas. How can that waste gas? I'll tell you how....

The receiver never fits snug and there is always a little wiggle room. As you drive the receiver moves and causes vibration in the frame of your truck. Your engine picks up this vibration and retards the timing as a result of the extra vibration. This wastes gas. I used to ride around with mine in all the time for no reason at all. I took it out and picked up 3 mpg.

I thought it was a bunch of bs until I tried it. It works. Happy hunting.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
You have got to be kidding! I always thought it was the retard behind the wheel goofing up my gas milage!

I currently have the ball hitch in... but, even on the best day I only get 7 mpg (Dodge V-10/488 CI) around town and a little better highway.

I don't get much worse pulling two horses in a trailer using my goose-neck drop hitch...

I'll try it though - based on faith. :) Cause everything helps!

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
Mine is so packed full of mud and rust that it wouldn't vibrate if you used a jackhammer on it.
Now if I could just stop the vibration in the wifes' voicebox, we might be on to something............... ;D

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see that happening. Im an auto technician and the knock sensor will pick up any vibration and retard the timing. It picks the vibrations up to help with spark knock and engine pings. That makes sense. Good tip!

KFB

05Duramax

Jan 6, 2008
ALASKA
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD, Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag (camo), GARRETT PRO POINTER
I don't think that you could pick up that much MPG off of taking your hitch off. I leave mine in all the time (it weighs around 20lbs used to pull a 26ft weekend warrior loaded with toys) and I get 18 in town and 22 on the hwy. I get this mileage with stacked chips and alittle over 500 horsepower to the rear. One other question is did you change your Ocetane % to get these numbers and how many miles did you put on your rig before you noticed the change. Dump the gas if you got one and get a diesel!!!!!

OP
OP
TXDIRTFISHER

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I've got a 2006 Duramax Diesel 2500 GMC 4X4. 14mpg with the receiver in the towing hitch....18 mpg with it out.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if I remove the hitch, that would also remove the trailer, would I get better mileage ?????????????? LOL

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
The best mileage trick I've come up with was putting an extra 8 pounds of pressure in the tires. Then take my foot OFF the gas pedal every time I get to any hill I can coast at speed on. In my wifes' car getting 21mpg, but went to 33mpg from this. I haven't checked my other junkers yet, but it sure didn't cost me any money to do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread