Gas Station Finds, New source for rolled coins for Dad and Tanner

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I came across a new source for rolled coins. My local gas station. I usually fill my car and my wife's car up once a week. At a near by gas station on 8 mile they have the cheapest gas around often 10 to 15 cents cheaper per gallon. I have often has some rolled coins next to the register, usually dimes, nickles and quarters. As a CRH I asked about them. The guy behind the counter said that a lots and lots of people pay for their gas with change and they have to roll them and take them to the bank. Thinking that some people may have to scrounge for change from old jars, grandpas collection etc.. I asked to buy some rolls.

First time: $20 in dimes, $4 in nickles = skunk
second time: $10 in dimes $8 in nickles = 1 war nickle
third time: $50 in dimes, $4 in nickles = 1 1964 rosie.

Not bad stats. I think if we keep doing this I may have a chance of running into a good score. It may not be high volume CRH but it does make a visit to the gas station more fun.

We will keep you updated.

Dad and Tanner
Keep on Searching

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do something similar - banks do not allow customers to roll coin here in WI, but every time I pay for gas or groceries, I ask for a roll of pennies. I usually get some weird looks from the cashiers, but I mark the date and location that I get them from and when I get enough for a box ( 50 rolls) I will open them. Like you said, not big time volume, but it makes doing everyday things a little bit more fun.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you do this are you going to keep up the wheat wars??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread