Gather round T-Netters & Ill tell you a story.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gather 'round T-Netters & I'll tell you a story.

My plan last night was to get up and go hunting for a full day today. When I woke up, I shrugged, turned over and went back to sleep. Along about noon I managed to get up but was just figuring to vegetate in front of the Boob tubes, (the TV & PC). But, as I walked through the house I happened to look outside and what I saw was just a MAG-NIF-I-CENT Autumn day!!! The colors! The chill in the air!

Well, I was no longer able to just write this day off.

I got ready and went out for a hunt in this beautiful day. I really had no idea where to hunt so I just headed towards a favorite local schoolyard. I really didn't care what I found! Just being out there in this day was reward enough!

As I was motoring down the expressway, one I've been traveling all my life, I caught a sort of half glimpse of a ball field through some trees. It was just the quickest of glimpses, moving along at the double-nickel. But, it caught my attention. I went through my mental maps of schools in the area and I just couldn't remember there being ANYTHING where I saw this. So, I went exploring.

What I found was a bucolic example of a schoolyard of the 60's - 70's era. It was nestled in among and surrounded by some very nice/old looking trees. If one imagines a postcard of an old schoolyard, this could very well had been where the picture was taken!

Anyway, I started wandering a few areas and getting some fairly new stuff but an occasional wheat would pop up every now and then. Some other indicators were the shotgun shells, fairly old I think. I only had a couple hours to explore but this school just plain feels SOOOOOO right! There's PLENTY of grounds to explore, some wooded some not, some park like some just plain athletic fields. If I had to make up my mind where to concentrate a search in this place, I couldn't. The whole place just looks soooo right!

Also, from what I found this first trip it just about shouts that this place has not been hit too very hard before. I've found very few places that felt like this and they all paid off! I expect to be in this one schoolyard for quite some time. :)

Ok, so what did WHADIFIND, find? Well, I waited to tell you that because the finds don't look like much on the surface. One would need to be there to experience what I felt out there today.

Let me start of by showing you something that happened but really didn't cause me to feel this way about the place. I recognize it as just one more "happy accident" in a long stream of them in my "career" of hunting.

Like I said, this was a beautiful Autumn day, so, there were lots of leaves.

2.jpg

I happened across this one spot where I thought my detector had just started throwing a fit! I got such a machine gun effect in the headphones that I thought I must have come across a trash dump. The numbers were all over the place and very loud! Whatever had thrown up in this spot, it was recent! I figured to just dig a couple pulltabs to prove it to myself and then I'd move on.

It looked like this.

10.jpg

As I swept some of the leaves out of the way with the coil, it looked like this.

9.jpg

I caught a glimpse of something shiny in there, laying on the surface. So, I swept some more.

8.jpg

Hah! I said to myself! As I knelt to pick it up a few more leaves moved.

7.jpg

So I said that explains the good signal in the middle of all the static. But, as I moved the leaves to pick it up.

6.jpg

Whaaaaa!???

I swept some more.

5.jpg

HOLY COW!!!!!

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Now, I ask ya. Is that a pocket spill or what?!?!? LOL :)

Here's the rest:

IMGA1916.JPG

IMGA1917.JPG

IMGA1918.JPG

IMGA1919.JPG

IMGA1920.JPG

Yep. This will be one hunt I will remember the rest of my life. Just such a great feeling day!

Hope nobody minds the long winded-ness of the post.

Get out there folks! It's a beautiful time of year!

HH!

Upvote 11

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a big spill ! Congrats

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does one not notice that when they lose that? lol

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you got it before it laid there for 30 years. It's hard to tell what those things would have looked like then. I know what the state quarters and zincs look like after one year.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, what a great day. It's not often you find over 8 bucks in change with that few coins! As for how you lose that, I don't have a clue. Just this year i found 9.25 in quarters in a parking lot. Someone must have dropped it. The crazier part was all the people I watched walk past it before I got to it. I wasn't too proud to scoop up change.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice hunt! :hello2: Glad you were rewarded for getting out there and skipping the TV. :icon_thumright:

HH

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story...good thing you didn't just zone out in front of the boob tube like you was going to do!

treasure is where you find it,
cc

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Come on man...For real? That's some story you told right there!
I've got to get back in to this hobby and find some old school yards.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome what kinda seeds do you plant for those :)

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
maybe they didnt want them dollar coins either so they decided to dump them... kinda like the banks ya know :dontknow: lol.

kinda off topic, but when i ask for Ikes at the bank they all seem deter my original request then beg me to take them presidential dollar coins :laughing7:

great find though.. looks like you recovered your gas and or battery expense :icon_thumright:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That must have been a real recent drop .. some are on top of the leaves and some are underneath the leaves.

Heck of a good day for sure!

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome what kinda seeds do you plant for those :)

Well, these, I believe, are a result of the zincolns completely disintegrating. Trouble is, the crop only blooms once in a millennium. Sorry, you missed it this time. ;)

(Pssst, as an aside, read the responses closely and you can tell the ones who don't believe. AND THEN, notice how well I ignore the possibility. LOL )

HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you got it before it laid there for 30 years. It's hard to tell what those things would have looked like then. I know what the state quarters and zincs look like after one year.

Oh! How well I know! :)

Just look at the comparison to one I found back awhile. Actually had to dig this one though.

Attachments

• IMGA1923.JPG
    IMGA1923.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 82

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
They are uncommon to dig, just like modern halves, yet a surface find?! Too bad they weren't 1921 Peace Dollars!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are uncommon to dig, just like modern halves, yet a surface find?! Too bad they weren't 1921 Peace Dollars!

Oh yeah, it was a VERY recent drop. The first one I saw was only covered by a leaf or two.

I'm kind of thinking that someone might have had a bag of these and it developed a leak or maybe spilled from the opening. They are brand new.

I don't care, I'll take it, all day long! LOL

HH!

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND said:
Oh yeah, it was a VERY recent drop. The first one I saw was only covered by a leaf or two.

I'm kind of thinking that someone might have had a bag of these and it developed a leak or maybe spilled from the opening. They are brand new.

I don't care, I'll take it, all day long! LOL

HH!

I have found four this year all dug but just picking them off the top of the ground would have been better

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread